Getting Job as a Teacher

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

sharmon Posts: 437
Hi I'm thinking of going back to college to do a Postgraduate diploma in education to enable me to become a secondary school teacher. I have a BSc & a PhD & have checked my eligibility with the teaching council. I'm just wondering how difficult it is to find a job after doing the PGDE. Do you think the fact that I have a PhD & several years work experience in a lab will stand to me or be a hinderence when applying for jobs??????
nelly Posts: 1875
no bother to ya, its a cushy number altogether.. several years working inteh private sector could be a disadvantage for ya but.
fantac Posts: 4109
oh petal you're a few days late on the teacher discussion, i cant remember if the outcome was that teachers were a - unrecognised saints or b - lazy layabouts sorry - i digress -i'd say its going to get harder to find a teaching job here with the education cuts, but at the same time, teachers will always be needed. i often wish i'd gone with the teaching option after uni. not sure i'd be any good at it though, young teen types tend to just annoy me.
[quote="SnuggleMuffin":rlp8ogyu]oh petal you're a few days late on the teacher discussion, i cant remember if the outcome was that teachers were a - unrecognised saints or b - lazy layabouts sorry - i digress -i'd say its going to get harder to find a teaching job here with the education cuts, but at the same time, teachers will always be needed. i often wish i'd gone with the teaching option after uni. not sure i'd be any good at it though, young teen types tend to just annoy me.[/quote:rlp8ogyu] ya startin? On a serious note if its something you want to do and would like to do (try i out first - shadow someone) then teh old saying goes that find work that you love and you will never "work" a day in your life. I imagine if you can stay motivated at a PhD then you can make a good fist of teaching because you probably did a bit to suppliment your grant?
newmammy2011 Posts: 1255
Would you not consider lecturing instead?
[quote="frances78":32kjshou]Would you not consider lecturing instead?[/quote:32kjshou] sience lecturing jobs are like gold dust.
Heflen Posts: 4050
[quote="sharmon":18iszxq7]Hi I'm thinking of going back to college to do a Postgraduate diploma in education to enable me to become a secondary school teacher. I have a BSc & a PhD & have checked my eligibility with the teaching council. I'm just wondering how difficult it is to find a job after doing the PGDE. Do you think the fact that I have a PhD & several years work experience in a lab will stand to me or be a hinderence when applying for jobs??????[/quote:18iszxq7] First we're not allowed post any kind of opinion that is in anyway negative r doesn't follow the INTO/ASTI party line. Teachers will only post how 'dissapointed' they are if we do so and then complain to the eejits who 'run' the forum.. Back on topic, the 31 day uncertified sick gravy train is slowing down so it may be more difficult to get a subbing job - keep looking though..
[quote="Heflen":6xqnnheg][quote="sharmon":6xqnnheg]Hi I'm thinking of going back to college to do a Postgraduate diploma in education to enable me to become a secondary school teacher. I have a BSc & a PhD & have checked my eligibility with the teaching council. I'm just wondering how difficult it is to find a job after doing the PGDE. Do you think the fact that I have a PhD & several years work experience in a lab will stand to me or be a hinderence when applying for jobs??????[/quote:6xqnnheg] First we're not allowed post any kind of opinion that is in anyway negative r doesn't follow the INTO/ASTI party line. Teachers will only post how 'dissapointed' they are if we do so and then complain to the eejits who 'run' the forum.. Back on topic, the 31 day uncertified sick gravy train is slowing down so it may be more difficult to get a subbing job - keep looking though..[/quote:6xqnnheg] she speaks the truth - and if you say your motives are holidays, pensions and quiet life prepare yourself for public stoning.
sharmon Posts: 437
To be honest all through my PhD & my subsequent work as a postdoc my favourite part of the job has been the teaching aspect, at a practical & theory level. As another poster said science lecturing positions are like gold dust & to be hired you really need to have a research interest & have grant money behind you, which does not appeal to me. It's taken me a while but teaching is what I'd really like to do (& I'm going to have to take a pay cut to do it) Sometimes I think I'm mad, & other times I know I'm on the right track. I'm going to have to take a year off work next year & then hopefully find some teaching work? Has anyone else been in the same position as me?? Oh & I'm also getting married next yr...... Would love as much feedback as possible, don't want to go into this with rose tinted glasses ..................
cbtb Posts: 413
[quote="nelly":2s9xbl04][quote="frances78":2s9xbl04]Would you not consider lecturing instead?[/quote:2s9xbl04] sience lecturing jobs are like gold dust.[/quote:2s9xbl04] Sorry to tell you but teaching jobs are also like gold dust. You will get a job as a sub and after that it really is a case of being in the right school at the right time. TBH I don't think your PHD will make a difference to getting a job but it will give you a few more points when applying for the dip. Best of luck.