Gift for people offering to do things at wedding as present

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

highbeam Posts: 2578
A few friends have offered their professional services to us as our wedding gift. So make-up is one thing that has been offered and I am delighted as would have asked her anyway. Do we need to buy them a thank you gift? and how much would you spend?
weddingdiva Posts: 1349
I would, I offered payment to them but they wouldn't take it, so payment in kind is what I offered for a finish, I can do a lot of bits and pieces that people can use ,Invitations, cake making, flowers, borrow my wedding stuff for decorating, alterations etc. they said they would prefer that so I said no problem, it works both ways I guess and its a more personal gift, I know the things people did for me on my wedding day, ended up being the best presents I got. I am so appreciative for all the time and effort some people went to/
highbeam Posts: 2578
Yes I did offer to pay them but they have refused and insisted its a gift. They aren't getting married. I was thinking of getting them a voucher for a restaurant, but not sure how much I should spend. The value of what I would be paying? Or would say €100 for the girl doing makeup be enough?
belcra Posts: 1097
I think €100 would be enough and very generous. They do want to do it as a gift so would prob not want something to the value anyway.
Brideonabudget2012 Posts: 231
If you give them €100 they may feel obliged to give you a wedding gift anyway, as the point of them gifting their services would be so you didnt have to pay for them, so kind of defeats the purpose of what they are trying to do, maybe a small token gift would be better then cash.
belcra Posts: 1097
Yeah - I meant a voucher to the value of €100 rather than cash.
Mustang Sally Posts: 394
[quote="Brideonabudget2012":1aa11fdl]If you give them €100 they may feel obliged to give you a wedding gift anyway, as the point of them gifting their services would be so you didnt have to pay for them, so kind of defeats the purpose of what they are trying to do, maybe a small token gift would be better then cash.[/quote:1aa11fdl] +1 here. They are giving you their service as a gift. If you give them a gift back then they may feel obliged to give you another gift. I'd give them a card saying "Thanks a million, you did a beautiful job, we really appreciated having friends involved in the wedding etc" and done.
sarahstrikes Posts: 214
Being a singer I have often done the music at the church for weddings I have attended and have given this as my present. There is absolutely no need to give anything as your friends are probably delighted to be doing this as a gift and, as the others have said, giving them a gift would negate this. My biggest tip here is make sure that they are thanked personally in the speeches for their help. It lets your friend know how much you really appreciate what she has done for you. HTH
bride2be2013 Posts: 78
+1 I feel a nice big thank you to the people who helped out during the speeches will mean a lot to them. My friend is doing make up and I have a little speech that i am working on that i will read out.
SimoneP Posts: 57
Yeah I think it depends on whether you are inviting them to the wedding or not and how close you are to them. Two friends of mine who are invited are doing things for the wedding as a present. However another friend who wouldn't be as close and is not invited is also helping out but I will get him a nice voucher as he insists he doesn't want payment.