girl with the dragon tattoo

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

errigal08 Posts: 1302
i just watched this on thursday night and although it is a good film,the rape scene was the worst iv ever seen! it took a second before i realised just how brutal it was,but because i was watching on dvd i was able to fast forward, i actually screamed at my husband to fast forward, he was scrambling for the remote in a panic,i had to cover my eyes and ears,i thought it was awful and i cant get it out of my head....there is also a second scene where she gets her own back on him and that is also very violent. i dont know how the actors coped with it,it must be extremely difficult to play a part like that,iv since been talking to someone who said that they read somewhere that the girl who played the part said she couldent talk to the male actor before the scene.. im glad i dident going to the cinema to see it,id say there were alot of very uncomfortable people watching it and wishing that scene to be over
wowser Posts: 538
What version did you watch? the original or the american version with Daniel Craig? I saw the original one, and as much as I thought the film was brilliant ( i dont understand why they had to do another one) I found very hard to watch some of the scenes. It did actually haunt me for a good few days afterwards.
[quote="Mrs Coco":1arksfrc]What version did you watch? the original or the american version with Daniel Craig? I saw the original one, and as much as I thought the film was brilliant ( i dont understand why they had to do another one) I found very hard to watch some of the scenes. It did actually haunt me for a good few days afterwards.[/quote:1arksfrc] i saw the daniel craig one,i dont know if its the same as the original or if its been tamed down a bit,but my god it was very hard to watch,before i seen the film i was going to read the books but i think i'll give that a miss now
McLisa Posts: 1815
i've read the books and they are brilliant and few weekends ago i watched the Swedish version of the girl with the dragon tattoo and was horrified by it, it definitely doesnt go into as much detail in the books so i wasnt expecting the graphic nature of the film. If you get a chance definitely read the books, i'm about to start the third one now.
[quote="McLisa":305qe96h]i've read the books and they are brilliant and few weekends ago i watched the Swedish version of the girl with the dragon tattoo and was horrified by it, it definitely doesnt go into as much detail in the books so i wasnt expecting the graphic nature of the film. If you get a chance definitely read the books, i'm about to start the third one now.[/quote:305qe96h] thats good to know lisa thanks,im surprised though,normally the books are alot graphic than the films,im glad there not
weddingdiva Posts: 1349
Yeah it was hard to watch it alright, I felt sick coming out of the cinema, it really does affect you for a while after
R2theB Posts: 1660
Haven't seen either the Swedish or the American version of the film. I read the book recently, after hearing all the hype I wanted to see what all the fuss was about. I thought the rape and subsequent related scenes were horrific and utterly gratuitous. Even though I had been enjoying the book, to a point - very "bubblegum for the brain" material, this put me well and truly off it, there was absolutely no call for it, I think the author lost his way amongst all that coffee-drinking (which is all anyone seemed to do in the book!!) and felt he had to disgust and appall his reader. I have the other two in the series still to read, it'll be a desperate day that I turn to them. So if the films are even more graphic than the book I think I may have to avoid!
Twirl Posts: 5598
I read the books first before seeing the film and i thought they book went into more detail on the scene your talking about, but at least you can move on from it. The film brought it all back to me and then seeing her wash blood away, it was a very disturbing scene but i suppose in defence of the author he was showing how vulnerable this girl seemed to be to this guy and that she was "easy work" i suppose. She really did get him back. In general i dont like violent scenes but when they are sexual violent scenes they are very disturbing and sickening, i nearly find you go over it in your head more. Gives me shivers thinking about it.
scullly Posts: 240
weddingdiva Posts: 1349
Sorry tuscanbride, I'm laughing so hard at that image of you saying that to him and then that scene happening, especially on a first date. Very funny! Thats like something that would happen to me, I'm going red just thinking about it.