girls are you doing a speech?

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

bridemay08 Posts: 61
Hi girls, Just wondering is many of you saying a speech, Im thinking of saying a few words is this strange?
susied Posts: 268
I'm not but I've seen it done a few times. I think it can be quite nice
charminglizzy Posts: 15
I think we should say a few words first - start as you mean to go on! Seriously, I think its a good idea to thank people yourself aswell as your hubby doing it.
Spanish Bride 2b Posts: 778
Loads of girls are giving speeches now. I don't know if I'll be able to on the day bacause of nerves but I'm gonna have a speech ready just in case!
anonbride08 Posts: 326
yeah i think i'll make a speech too - i think its a nice idea!!!
Spudnik2b Posts: 1804
Well girls, i'm not the speech giving type but i have been told in no uncertain terms by H2B that i won't get away with it on our wedding day, the last few weddings i've been at, the girls all did speeches... just terrifies me as nice as and all as it is!!!! :-8
charli Posts: 5994
i think its a lovely idea - but i didnt do it, im shy and knew i wouldve been too nervous/ get upset get muddled up!! and hubby made a fab one so i feel that kinda covered me! go for it though! *)
somebody else Posts: 12
I don't see why you would feel you shouldn't...the traditions about who makes speeches stem from the days when the bride's father gave her away to the groom, at a great social gathering orchestrated by her mother. Times change. Most of us found our own groom, are paying for our own wedding and organsing the whole bleeping thing ourselves. So I say bring your soap-box (decorated with flowers and ribbons of course) to the reception and say your bit!
bumble Posts: 1980
[quote:1wsth969] think we should say a few words first - start as you mean to go on![/quote:1wsth969] I plan on making a short speech....but i'll be doing it last....start as i mean to go on having the last word!! If H2B wants to have the last word that's allowed too once it's "whatever you want bumble" :o0
Sinful Posts: 956
Ye im going to make a short speech just before the meal, the way i see it im doing most of the organising and work and also i want to thank my parents in person and not have my new hubby to do it for me. O-O