Girls Name-Isibeal - Page 2

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Bigsurprise Posts: 961
I would go with the Irish spelling & pronunciation if you like it. There are so many European/African/American names in schools at the moment that I'm sure she won't feel left out. I really like Irish names.
snowbear Posts: 2107
[quote="Anne Cordelia Shirley":17lija8x][quote="boopboop":17lija8x][quote="ReginaFalange":17lija8x]http://www.pronouncenames.com/pronounce/isibeal Would you not just spell it Isabelle though- she'll spend her life correcting people![/quote:17lija8x][/quote:17lija8x] But it's not just a different spelling of Isabelle it's an entirely different pronunciation, ish-bayle. I can see your point if it's ORLA vs Orlaith for eg but not in this case? +1[/quote +2. My parents gave me a different spelling of a common Irish name and its a pain. I'd advise using the conventional spelling.[/quote:17lija8x]
ReginaFalange Posts: 10290
Miranda I've never seen or heard of that name before so I was working off the information in the link I attached which suggested that it is pronounced Isabelle. Therefore, I would personally spell it the conventional way. I have a double barrel name which is fairly standard however, the first part can be spelled with or without an "e" (but without is far more common). I use the "e". The amount of times I have to correct my name is unbelievable. So for me personally I don't understand why people go out of their way to pick names and then spell them differently. OP I'm really not trying to be a smart arse here but if you can't even pronounce it do you not think that your potential daughter might experience a lot of bother with it growing up?
corkmarriedgirl Posts: 147
Thanks for the input girls, As for not knowing how to pronounce it I would have not know how to pronounce my husbands name when I first saw it but now I think the spelling of his irish name is much nicer than the common way its spelt. Each to their own!!!!! :o0
ructions Posts: 2689
I'd pronounce it Ish-i-bayle. Wouldn't worry about people misspelling it etc. My name wasn't very common growing up but it's made a huge comeback in recent years and still plenty of people can't spell it. DS's name is very popular, it's actually among the top names in Ireland and we've got cards for him with his name spelled wrong! So don't worry too much about it.
micls Posts: 1156
[quote="ructions":3azb1qwi]I'd pronounce it Ish-i-bayle. [/quote:3azb1qwi] Same here. That's how it would be read in Irish down the cork area anyway.
Sassypants Posts: 4461
[quote="ReginaFalange":142fzcew]OP I'm really not trying to be a smart arse here but if you can't even pronounce it do you not think that your potential daughter might experience a lot of bother with it growing up?[/quote:142fzcew] +1 Our surname is fairly normal when you see it written down, but saying it to people over the phone is a pain. Bookings go missing, people mistake the first part of it for a first name etc. And it's really not that difficult, it just has a bloody hyphen in it! We're trying to pick quite simple names for our kids as they'll have enough hassle with the surname. Isibeal is a very nice name but the poor child will be driven demented with it. Anyway, best of luck, whatever you decide.