Girls - why not use milton instead of steam sterialiser?

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Hellothere2010 Posts: 2358
I cant for the life of me figure out why everyone is using steam sterialisers and not the tradional milton in the container of water - surely this is the easier option rather than have to have avent either on all of the time or having to re-sterialise all of the bottles every time you open it to take one out. Am I missing something?? Myself and DH were standing in Tesco yesterday - completely confused on what to buy. Is Milton full of chemicals or somthing? It says on the bottle it can be used to wash veg etc - our parents used it. We ended up buying nothing and decided to ping you all on it
Moet for me Posts: 1841
I don't think there is any reason not to the odd time I'd do soothers in Milton. I just like the completely chemical free steam and as regards resterilising I never ever once did that on DD too particular IMO and I would imagine you'd have to do the same with Milton after a period of time if you wanted to be equally particular. Find what suits you and use it that is what is leading a lot of people to steam it is relatively easy.
Rocket Queen Posts: 7381
I got the tommee tippee microwave steam steriliser that can also be used at a cold water steri. I only used it 2 in the microwave. I make up my bottles individually so it's much handier for me to have the bottles already sterilised. WHen you do them in the microwave they only last 3hrs before they need to be done again so it was way too much hassle for me. I'm not mad about the smell off the bottles but it doesn't seem to bug DD.
nea dude Posts: 749
I asked my mother about this recently and she says she remembers reading articles saying that the chemicals in milton caused stomach problems for babies. Babies were much more prone to colic/reflux etc if the bottles were steeped in milton. I have no proof of this, just telling you what I was told. I would actually think that steaming the bottles is safer than having them steeping in a solution of some sort. Obviously there are chemicals in these solutions. Of course others may argue that using sterlizers in the microwave can also cause problems for the baby. Anyway, when we were small milton solution was all that was on the market and we are still alive!!
rushinbride Posts: 1097
No reason why you can't use just milton, I personally don't like the smell of it, its too bleachy smell for me...I use it around the kitchen sometimes and i suppose because I use it on certain horrible jobs i think it'd be too harsh for baby... I've a steam steriliser had one for DS, and i just think they are perfect....no smell or anything off the bottles afterward...
sarakg83 Posts: 347
i used militon on my second and will deffo use it again. i once i washed the bottles i just popped them in the water and used them when ever i needed
doolittle Posts: 910
Hi I was thinking exactly the same thing. Apparently constatnt heating of bottles through steam sterilisers and bottle warmers can cause some of the chemicals in the plastic to leach into the formula. I have one big problem [b:2aiptkv3]where to get the milton sterliser???[/b:2aiptkv3] I had bought the tommee tippee one but it will only take 3 standard bottles and Im going to use the Dr brown so there is loads of bits with that. Any one with ideas of where to get the milton steriliser? I ve checked mothercare and the UK website does them but not the Irish one...
Grunge Bride Posts: 2529
Ok....another controversial topic. Obviously nothing you buy for a baby is straightforward! In the course of this thread so far there have been two allegations - one that the chemicals in Milton are bad for a baby's stomach, and another that constant heating of bottles in a steam steriliser can cause chemicals from the plastic to leak into the formula. Does anyone have any backup for this e.g. websites? Has anyone asked a doctor / consultant / midwife about these? There are genuine things we need to be aware of for the health of our babies...and then there is scaremongering that turns out not to be based in fact.....I'm trying to figure out which is which.
Spooner Posts: 274
I wouldn't be a fan of milton personally- spilt some on my clothes recently and it left a bleach mark- god knows what it does to baby's stomachs. I just use boiling water to sterilise the bottles and teat before I make up her bottles. Seems to work ok- she's still alive !
Hellothere2010 Posts: 2358
Ok here is the two sides as I see it and hence so confised milton fast do it once a day did us no harm as kids worried about chemicals but seems to be made up of salt steamer you put in 6 bottles say - steam tham for 8 mins...open it and take one out - now the rest are contaminated and need to be redone - how is this efficient and useful?? If I could get a steamer that you use once a day...draw from it when needed I would but I see myself turning the silly thing off and on all day sterilising allof the bottles - seems stupid or am I missing something