Give up, or carry on?

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Time For A Change Posts: 6885
If you're reading a book, and just get into it, do you give up or persevere? Even if I don't like a book, I'll carry on. I can count on one hand how many books I've given up on over the years - and I can add one to that list now! Who on earth suggested to Amy Hubermann to write a book!!! Dear God, it's the biggest load of cr*p - bordering on cringy! I've really struggled up to chapter 17, pulling out all my hair would be more entertaining! I think she's the same as Cecilia Ahern - is only selling books because of who they're associated with, do you think they'd have so much success if they'd gone under a different name?? The only reason I picked the book, was that I had finished my other book, and it was the only one I could find in the house - Mum had lent it too me. Thankfully I pass by a charity shop on the way home - I'll be happily making a donation! :o0 So what other books could you not wait to finish/get rid of?
Mrs W Posts: 2923
I do the same, once i start it I have to finish it. My brother bought me Celia Aherns 1st one and it was alright ish. I dont like her style of writing but i bawled reading PS I love you. Since that he has bought her new book every year for christmas and i hate her. I was half way through the 2nd one thinking it wasnt that bad until i realised the character had an imaginary friend, i was raging!
JustBecause Posts: 3242
I often don't finish books either because they bore the knickers off me or because I LOVE them and don't ever want to finsh them (weird I know). I recieved a gift of P.S. I Love You but couldn't get passed the first few pages :duh: i don't think I'll be adding the Amy Huberman book to my reading pile.
HippyChic Posts: 1812
Bought a book that I thought was my usual crime type novel but was a war book instead "Hot Blood by Stephen Leather" in case anyone's interested. Bored the bejaysus out of me but didn't go to waste, H2B loves war books so he read it instead. Started a quantum physics for dummies book (The Goldilocks Enigma, why is the universe just right for life?, can't remember the authors name) and it gave me awful headaches. Got a few chapters in but just couldn't finish it. Still have it, am determined to finish it eventually. I think they're the only 2 - I've read some awful sh!te just for the sake of finishing a book though!
ructions Posts: 2689
I have a 50 page rule. If I don't like it by page 50 I put it down!
SunnyK Posts: 3834
Oh I CAN'T just give up on a book - it would annoy me for weeks if I didn't finish it. I'm known to read a horrendously boring, crappy book just because I feel that I have to! Wish I could just stop reading it and move on to something else but I just... CAN'T!
Mrs W Posts: 2923
That Jodi Picoult one gets me too, I read one of her first ones and then i read My Sisters Keeper and decided she was a bit depressing. Few months later I bought 2 for €10 and both were hers, I could have signed myself in at the end of them they were that bloody depressing. Theyre not even a sad but nice story but just a really depressing ones that make you feel like crap. Never again will i buy any of hers or Lesley Pearse as she's going down the same lines. Its like when i used to read Cathy Kelly and Patricia Scanlon, I'd be half way through and then wonder if I had read it before because all the stories and characters were the same, they just changed the names
Jawl Posts: 8881
It depends what the book is. If it's depressing I'll cut my losses and move on. Life's too short to read crap. I was browsing in Easons in Duty Free going on honeymoon and bought a book for Mr. Jawl and was looking for something for myself. I came across Amy's offering and thought she's a model/WAG, er....no ta :o0 Maybe I was being really judgemental, but as you say, it was crap so I was right :o0
Time For A Change Posts: 6885
SunnyK, I'm like that as well. The book has to be REEEEEEEALLY bad for me to give up on it. This one is beyond REEEEEEEEEALLY bad, every now and then I think "oh FFS" you'd have to be an imbecile to carry on like that - it's only a bloke! O:| Amy love, just stick to being one half of a celeb couple.
wowser Posts: 538
Oh I give up books after few chapters, not a bother. Life is too short. Sometimes i might eventually go back to it book few months later, to give it another try. [quote:qgo3e52j][quote="Time For A Change":qgo3e52j] Amy love, just stick to being one half of a celeb couple.[/quote:qgo3e52j][/quote:qgo3e52j] Haven't read any book from Amy, how many does she have? But in her defence, i follow her on twitter and she is really comical and witty so im surprised her book is that bad. And by the way she is a brilliant actress, check her out in Threesome.