Glucose in urine

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

MrsPositive Posts: 1548
Doc found this today. Hoping it's not gestational diabetes. Anyone have neg GD after glucose in urine. I'm 24 weeks don't have test done yet. Thanks
sweetbubbles Posts: 377
Any chance you had eaten or drank anything sugary before the test??
Hi sweetbubbles thanks for the reply actually I had eaten something sugary before hand not thinking. I did another test myself today and no glucose so im glad, I wonder if I had GD would I have glucose in my urine constantly?
digsy Posts: 1257
how did you test yourself mrs positive? If you dont mind me asking>
You'll have a fair idea from the colour, if its positive for anything, it should be a nice clear pale yellow. Anything darker or cloudier isn't usually a good sign, although it could be something as simple as not having drank enough fluids....Did the doc mention whether you were +1, +2, +3 or +4? +4 is the highest you can be on most clinistiks, keep an eye on it yourself, drink plenty of water and try to avoid the sweeter things in your diet (difficult I know!!) When is your GD test? If you are very concerned about it, you could always go into the chemist and get them to do a diabetic prick test, they'll prick your finger pop a little blood on a stick and put it in a machine, normal range is between 4 and 7 anything much higher than 7 and be heading back to the doctor, if it was me, the big chain pharmacys do it, like McCabes.
thanks sweetbubbles, I was ++ keytones yesterday at the doc but none this morning at home or yesterday. digsy, I bought these test sticks at the pharmacy that check keytones and glucose levels in your urine its like a little stick that you pee on and the little squares change colour accordingly you then look up the tub they come in and match up the result. I found it very handy when I was vomiting from morning sickness I knew myself when I needed to go to the hospital to be put on a drip. Thanks again girls.
++ ketones means you're not eating/drinking enough, and your body is burning fat in order to meet its energy supply, so make sure to eat plenty Mrs Positive, especially with your history of vomiting, you may need to be eating a little bit more as you prob lost a good bit early on with the MS.
sorry sweetbubbles what I meant to say is ++ glucose not keytones! no glucose either today so Im delighted. thanks again
Have glucose in urine again today sweetbubbles, am I supposed to be glucose free in my urine at all times if Im having a healthy pregnancy? Or am I veering towards GD? thanks
moobear Posts: 1126
I would imagine that you are veering towards gd. The only advice I would give is to avoid all sugar/sugary food. Eat whole meal/brown breads, low GI foods, slow release cereals ie porridge and see how you are getting on. I am sure that if there is any glucose at your next appointment you will be referred. Drink plenty of water - this should help Best of luck - fingers crossed you will be in the clear at your next visit