Glucose Intolerance Test

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

tinyfeet Posts: 3482
Just a quick question for any ladies who have had this or know anything about it. I have to have it done because my brother had diabetes. When is the latest I can get this done? Reason I am asking is because I am not due back to the doctor until mid Sep but by then Ill be around 27 weeks. Would this be too late or should I just schedule another appointment earlier to get it done? :wv
yikesJune08 Posts: 395
Hi, I would check with your obsterician or midwives for sure about when they reccomend is the best time, I had this done 2 weeks ago at 30 weeks though, I think there is a time pretty late on where they would expect diabetes to show up if it was going to but I can't remember when it is exactly, Call them to be sure, different hospitals might have different reccomendations also, best to call and be sure, Good luck with it, I found it a great chance to just chill out for a couple of hours with no stress or work, bring a book though, Yikes
mathair01 Posts: 105
Had a scan at 27 wks & my doc recommended i go for this test because the baby is 3 wks ahead of my due date. I hope to get it done this wk
Elegance Posts: 2848
hey KN. my dad is diabetic, so I have to have this done too... I was told that it would be at 28 weeks, so seems like it will be perfect timing for you. like the op said, it takes a couple of hours so I'm told - so go prepared for lots of lucozade and reading a good book!
madridsprog Posts: 272
Its an automatic test that they do here in Spain for all pregnant ladies regardless of history, usually done at 24 weeks, stay off all sweet stuff in the lead up however as I've heard that fizzy drinks and sweets will give a wrong reading on the day.
aylala Posts: 3673
Does everyone get this done as standard? I'm going to Holles st
tinyfeet Posts: 3482
Thanks for the replies girls. Might just give the doc a buzz & see when she wants to do it. It's handy that I'm gettin it done @ the Docs & not the hospital coz I can just go home for the 2 hours, don't have to be hanging around. I don't think all pregnant women get this done. Midwife told me it's just because my brother had diabetes
Elegance Posts: 2848
Aylala, its only if you a) have family history of diabetes or b) if you are overweight......this straight from my consultants mouth! my friend was over 40 and she was given it also and she said that all over 40's get it too... but I don't know that for definite.
gemini chica Posts: 2581
Madridsprog, how many days before should you avoid sweet stuff? As I have my test in 2 weeks! Matrona gave me a bottle of something to drink at 7.40am and then go get bloods done at 8.20!
oddwire Posts: 842
I had this done at 26 weeks and I'm sure my consultant said they don't do it before then. It's one long, boring hungry morning ladies!! Def bring a book, or wear trainers and do laps of the hospital to pass the time. Bloods are taken first thing, then you go drink a glucose drink and go back every hour at the exact same time and they take another blood sample for a total of four samples (this is how it was done for me anyway). Elegance - they might also do it if your baby was measuring quite big as this could be a sign of gestational diabetes. I had it done because my mother is borderline diabetic - was so sorry I told them!