Glucose tolerance test 6 wks after baby is born

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

ozzy08 Posts: 272
Girls, I had a 11lb baby boy three weeks ago and hospital have given me an app for a Glucose tolerance test in three weeks timw. Nothing had showed up in my urine the whole way through the pregnancy so just wondering did this happen to anyone else. Surely if I had gestational diabetes it would have shown up?
babyblaBBer Posts: 2448
my DS was 11lbs too but i was tested that day, not 6 weeks later. surely if it was gestational diabetes your blood sugar level would be back to normal at 6 weeks. I didn't have it but will be more closely monitored this time. Congrats on you baby!
samcro Posts: 738
My baby was 11.4lbs and nothing was ever said to me after he was born...
babyblaBBer Posts: 2448
That's very unusual Samco, if a baby is 10lbs+ they are supposed to test mum for gestational diabetes. Any chance they took your blood and didn't tell you what it was for?
samcro Posts: 738
[quote="babyblabber":1vm1qolf]That's very unusual Samco, if a baby is 10lbs+ they are supposed to test mum for gestational diabetes. Any chance they took your blood and didn't tell you what it was for?[/quote:1vm1qolf] Nope no bloods at all were taken.. Sammy Jnr's blood was taken for the first day and a half before each feed to check his blood sugar but that was it...
BusyDee Posts: 8527
[quote="ozzy08":3u1o8ltf]Girls, I had a 11lb baby boy three weeks ago and hospital have given me an app for a Glucose tolerance test in three weeks timw. Nothing had showed up in my urine the whole way through the pregnancy so just wondering did this happen to anyone else. Surely if I had gestational diabetes it would have shown up?[/quote:3u1o8ltf] Hi congrats on your boy! I had GD with my pregnancy and in the lead up to me finding out it never showed up in my urine (which I thought it would too) I can't remember exactly but I think the nurse said that it doesnt always show up in the urine?? I had a repeat test last week to confirm if it was gone or not but my fasting sugar was quite high just boarderline so I have to lose weight and cut out sugar which might help get rid of it and keep my sugar levels down. They probably just want to test you incase, like me, your sugar levels might be high which might indicate that you did have GD when pregnant. It could be just a case that you were fine and just had a big baby!! which I know has happened to a few people. If you get pregnant again they will more than likely test you around 25 weeks seeing as you had a previous big baby. I would make sure and get it done as its very important to your health especially.