Menu

going back to work

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

kittysue Posts: 1016
Just wondering, when you go out on maternity leave, are you obliged to return to work after having the baby. What if you decided that you wanted to stay at home full time. Would you have to go back to work if they paid you while you were off or whay way does that work?
delgirl Posts: 1706
I think it depends on the organisation and the type of maternity leave you are getting. I know that I have to return to work for 3 months or else pay back a percentage of maternity leave. I can do the 3 month stint full-time or if I chose to do it part-time would have to work equivalent of 3 months iykwim. Your hr person should be able to advise you on your actual setup.
Baby Mad Posts: 1756
I have to go back to work and if I leave after 6 months I'm obliged to pay the full amount back and if I leave after a year I have to pay half back. I HAVE to go back to work anyway (can't afford to be a stay at home mum at the moment :o( ) so its a good insentive for me.
Wifey Wifey Posts: 198
Kittysue, Thats what I'm planning on doing next year as am due in Feb and am moving to a different county at some stage next summer so had planned on not returning to my job once the maternity leave was finished. It wouldnt pay me if I had to return back the money. How do you approach the subject with HR? Wont they get suspicious that you already plan on not returning to work?
Wifey Wifey Posts: 198