Going public on VHI

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

babymomma Posts: 175
Hi Girls I'm going public in Portlaoise hospital. There is only public or private there (no semi-private) and the doctor told me that if I went private it would cost an extra 3K even though I have VHI. Will I have to pay for scans etc when I go public or will all of that be covered by VHI?
CestMoi Posts: 2162
I'm going public even though I have VHI healthcare - You just need to pay for the consultant if you are going private - which is the 3k you mentioned. But if you go public you don't have to pay for your scans. Your VHI won't be used, you are a public patient as if you have no health insurance.
Thanks for that, I wasn't sure whether scans were extra or not even if you go public. Sorry, I have another VHI question. When the baby is born, do they automatically go on to your policy or do I need to add them on?
MrsWoggle Posts: 1793
They go on automatically until your next renewal date!
curliwurli Posts: 3369
also, depending on your policy with VHI, you might be entitled to money towards baby massage classes, breastfeeding consultants etc so you should check it out
Thanks all!
theoracle Posts: 7664
Please note that this is the correct procedure for adding a child to your policy - you MUST notify them of baby's birth details and name within 13 weeks: 3) Joining Vhi Healthcare a) Additional people may be included on your contract at any time. If you apply to include your child on your contract within 13 weeks of his/her birth, we will insure him/her from the date of birth and we will not apply rules 3(c) & 3(f). Subscribers/policy holders who enrol their new born children within 13 weeks of the child’s date of birth will not be charged any additional subscription for that child until the first or next renewal date after his/her birth. b) You can only make other changes to your contract at renewal date. Taken from: http://www.vhi.ie/pdf/products/lifestag ... _rules.pdf
[quote="The Oracle (formerly hu101)":706o0rap]Please note that this is the correct procedure for adding a child to your policy - you MUST notify them of baby's birth details and name within 13 weeks: 3) Joining Vhi Healthcare a) Additional people may be included on your contract at any time. If you apply to include your child on your contract within 13 weeks of his/her birth, we will insure him/her from the date of birth and we will not apply rules 3(c) & 3(f). Subscribers/policy holders who enrol their new born children within 13 weeks of the child’s date of birth will not be charged any additional subscription for that child until the first or next renewal date after his/her birth. b) You can only make other changes to your contract at renewal date. Taken from: http://www.vhi.ie/pdf/products/lifestag ... _rules.pdf[/quote:706o0rap] That's great info, thanks
CestMoi Posts: 2162
Thanks Oracle, I didn't know that either.