Going sick from work in first few weeks?

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

lush11 Posts: 2877
I work in quite a dangerous job esp with a baby in the womb. Now i am not prepared to put my feet up and file my nails (like another girl in the place) but I am not prepared to put my baby at risk. Now i actually dont think I can make it to week 12 without telling my managers and therefore gonna take some leave in the next while. Just wondering if i explain this to my doctor will she sign me off work for a few weeks??? I feel like i'd be taking the piss.
babyforus Posts: 1619
I think if you have a job that is dangerous your doctor might tell you to inform your employer. They will have to perform an assessment and assign you appropriate tasks. Personally, I wouldn't go sick if I wasn't sick.
LazyBaby Posts: 464
[quote="babyforus":cx38e0tg] Perosnally, I wouldn't go sick if I wasn't sick.[/quote:cx38e0tg] +1
Happymammy2010 Posts: 837
I ree with the other posters dont go sick if you are not sick as there may come a time when you are genuinely sick and need to take time off. I work in a high risk job and therefore informed my employers immediately they have to keep it confidential and they have to carry out a risk assessment. You have as much a responsiblity for your health & safety while at work as your employer has. If your job is too high risk they will have to sign you off on health & safety leave with 3 weeks full pay and then you must claim off the state for the remainder of your leave. Congratulations on you BFP :o)ll :o)ll
FoundHome Posts: 1753
I know its not probably not what you want but you may have to tell work. If your job proves too risky you are entitled to health and safety leave. [url:237zo5e4]http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categories/employment/employment-rights-and-conditions/health-and-safety/health_safety_work[/url:237zo5e4]
lush11 Posts: 2877
I know what ye are saying and i might only be jinxing myself by going sick when i am not actually sick just hate having to tell my boss so soon. Going to the doctor tomorrow so i will see what she says. Gonna have a look at my leave in work too and see how much time i can take over the next few weeks. I just keep thinking that the first 12 weeks are the most important so i really need to look after myself. Work is not worth it.
goinloco Posts: 774
i also work in the type of job where i had to tell work straight away. i told them when i was 6 weeks which i hated having to do as it was so early but as some others said i wouldnt go out sick when i wasnt. they did a risk assessment straight away and they were warned not to say it to anyone as i hadnt even told friends at that stage. it worked out fine and i got loads of support