Good article on the swine flu vaccine from Harvard

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

lollyfp Posts: 2441
Hi, I know many of you are undecided and I found this article from a Harvard Medical School Advisor good at explaining a few issues so I thought I'd pass it on. I have personally already had the vaccine but good luck to everyone whatever you decide!! :wv http://www.freep.com/article/20091108/F ... 329/?imw=Y
octbride2007 Posts: 774
Thanks Lolly...think I may go for it!
hipbaby Posts: 4530
Am getting it tomorrow but thanks for posting that link!
groom_zilla Posts: 109
Good article and it will hopefully put some pregnany women's minds at ease although Harvard's university reputation has diminished in Ireland recently due to the Breffmeister!
Trillian Posts: 1685
Thanks for posting but for me it just adds weight to the yes side. So they say it's safe but I still can't get it below 14 weeks, and advice from doctors and midwives still conflicts? More and more going with no for me I think.
serenity Posts: 3675
Trillian, Just to let you know re a conversation I had with my GP re the whole 14 week thing... It's nothing to do with it being unsafe (although I would not get an injection before 12 weeks), it's to do with the fact that those under 14 weeks are at the same risk as any other normal person, therefore they are only currently offering it to those in 2nd and 3rd trimester as they are at much higher risk of developing complications from catching swine flu and those with underlying conditions - asthma, lung, liver & heart disease etc. My GP said that as far as he was aware, once they vaccine is plentiful over here, everybody will be invited to get it and that is those below 14 weeks too... Like I said, I personally would prefer to hold off until after the whole development stage is over, but that was how he explained it to me... My friend in the UK is 11 weeks pregnant and she was telling me over the weekend that there are NO conflicting reports over there - all Cons and GP's are advising pregnant women to get it -end of..... She has not heard of one story from a GP or a cons saying there is this, that or the other concern... Anyway, it's up to everybody to make their own decision and at the end of the day you are only doing what you think is best for your situation, your health and that of YOUR baby... Best of luck to all those who have yet to decide xxx
Jolee Posts: 567
thank you for posting the article. I have been thinking about this a lot lately. I've talked to my gp, i've watched the news and read a good few articles and I must say that I am leaning towards getting it. I have my maternity appointment on the 18th november and I will be just 14 weeks then so I will ask again there, such a decision!!!
Good luck everyone and I'm glad you found the article of interest. I'm also glad to see that more women are getting the vaccine. Take care! :wv
mbyrne91 Posts: 74
Hi there Ladies, Thanks for the link Lolly. I have to agree that it provided me with the information that I was looking for. From those of you who have got the vaccine, are you feeling ok after getting it? I think after reading article it is better to get it but just wanted some of your thoughts from those who have got it
hi, I got it over 2 weeks ago and have felt fine ever since. my arm was not even sore!! anyone i know who had it has felt fine. my DH got it too and he's never even gotten the flu jab and he has been fine too. :wv