good idea or not? band/dj question

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

yankiecandle Posts: 2888
we have soul purpose (soul band, 6 piece band including a two-piece horn section) booked for our wedding on nye! they dont supply a dj. was wondering should we have an 80's disco after the band? everybody loves the 80's? or would a regular dj be better since the band is genre specific?
ReginaFalange Posts: 10290
Regular DJ IMO- If you like 80's ask him to play a selection of 80'S music but I think that ALL 80'S might get a bit tiresome after an hour.
havemovedon Posts: 2013
Bit of both would be good. We've an 80s band but the DJ will play a bit of everything.
justwaitin Posts: 2462
like you we are also having swing/jazz band (the irish rat pack) id go for a just regular mix for the dj, thats we are doing anyway.
bluesky Posts: 143
A mixed dj for deffo! You could always ask for an 80's section, but most dj's will include this anyway, no?
perfection Posts: 837
i would say go for dj....more choice
turkish Posts: 83
i went to my friends weddin who had a dj who played 80s all nite and only the bride and her 8 friends were out dancing all nite,the rest of us danced a few and got sick of 80s and none o the old folk danced.the guys hated it and a lotof people comments that it wa just one kind f music and crap-defo go for aregular dj and just ask him to play a bit more 80s than normal if u love it but play regular stuff too.
bridesmaidzilla Posts: 1859
Mixed DJ would be best hon if you're having a particular style of band HTH :wv
yankiecandle Posts: 2888
thanks for the replays! will go for regular dj! :thnk
Irish Wedding DJ Posts: 1436
Yeah, i'd go with the genpop. 80's is the type of category that when you play a couple you can judge exactly where it will go, and you need that flexibility in the night to divert to something more appealing to your audience. Some great 80's songs are (amongst 100's): A-Ha - Take on Me Kenny Loggins Footloose Wham - Wake me up Boy Meets Girl - Waiting for a star to fall Europe - The Final Countdown Starship - We built this city Journey - Dont Stop Believing Guns n' Roses - Sweet Child of Mine Thats only about 30mins of music so if you've a big gap to fill, a more diverse selection will be better to get a genenal audience up on the floor. Hope this helps, Ruairi Finnegan