Got paid maternity benifit today...a bit confused?

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Joleigh Posts: 4242
Hi, Hoping someone can shed some light on this. My official first day of mat leave is next mon (although I took a weeks hols so off from today). I'm supposed to get €280 per week, but today a payment went into my bank from DSW (im guessing this is dept of social welfare?) for €93.30 which is 1 third of what I should start getting next week. Does anyone have any idea why I might have got this? Thanks!
MINI DONKEY Posts: 2499
Hey JoLeigh I amn't starting maternity leave till 31st Oct and then will be getting the same amount as you. I got paid €47 this morn.Not sure why and also thought it was paid on a Monday... Did u ind out anyth?I tried to ring there but their office is closed till Tues...
*BabyMaker* Posts: 212
My friend works in Social Welfare & he assured me it was ok - something to do with part payment. I was due on a Thurs but went on ML on a Fri but tech it should of been the Wed so I got part payment for thurs & fri & the following week got full payment.
Bright Flower Posts: 483
I have heard of this happening to quite a few people before. Its to do with the day of the payment. So for example, say maternity benefit is calculated Wednesday - Wednesday (or maybe its Thurs - Thurs). So if you start leave on a Monday you only get part payment in the first week (paid in advance), and then after that you get the full payment.
MINI DONKEY Posts: 2499
Ok thanks JuneBaby-looks like i'm gonna get double payment for a wk or two then cos work are paying me as normal till the 12th Nov :o0
hoodieboodie Posts: 1200
MiniDonkey, I got the same amount today too and like you, my maternity leave was not due to be paid until the 31st and it says on the latest letter payment would start on Mondays so I thought the first payment would come in 10 days time - happy days! The reference code I got was ISTEFT - can't work out any reference to the department of social welfare though, but presume that it it!
babyluck Posts: 764
dont know if this is helping or not I got the 280 payment on monday I think but anyway - am off 2 weeks and got it on each week! your HR dept at work might be able to explain? *)