GP tells mum to give him jewellery before treating son

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Smileykaz Posts: 7296
What do you think of this? http://www.independent.ie/national-news ... ml?start=2 A GP, who was standing in for Health Minister James Reilly, asked a mother to give him her eternity ring before he would treat her sick son. The kid has a lot of health issues including epilepsy and has a medical card, but one night he had a seizure and the Mum rushed him to the docs and left her medical card at home. At the surgery the doc said she had plenty of jewellery and she should hand over one of her rings before he'd treat her son. I think this is shocking, I really do. I know people are going to say she should have brought the medical card and maybe doctors are ripped off every day of the week, I don't know. But this woman was a regular at the surgery. Surely her son's medical notes would be there and the doc would know they had a vaild medical card and the Mam could drop in with it the next day? It's the part where it says that the doc refused to treat until the ring was handed over that gets me. This was an ill person like and yer man has his hand out for money. Surely in an emergency situation like that it's treat first, ask for the money later? I don't know, maybe I'm the stupid one, but this really shocked me. (The timing is an issue for me, I will admit. This happened in 2006, so I wonder why they didn't come out with this before now?)
Mari yay Posts: 4045
That is disgusting, what is happening to this country?? Bad enough to refuse to treat a sick person, but a sick child??? For God's sakes.
plainsconesonly Posts: 300
Shocking!! If she was a regular at the surgery as it says, as far as I know GP's get paid for all medical card holders annually for a certain amount of visits regardless of whether they visit or not. What a horrible man.
Finicky Fi Posts: 2134
Do doctors not take some sort of oath to help the sick?
Anne Cordelia Shirley Posts: 4731
Why did it take her five years to tell her story? I'm always a bit iffy about the Indo's hard luck cases TBH.
[quote="Finicky Fi":r3jg2wjz]Do doctors not take some sort of oath to help the sick?[/quote:r3jg2wjz] I thought so too Fi. They're not charities, they don't work for free like, but Jesus the child shows up having a seizure and you've your hand out for money? Doesn't bear thinking about.
[quote="Anne Cordelia Shirley":2iib7ypf]Why did it take her five years to tell her story? I'm always a bit iffy about the Indo's hard luck cases TBH.[/quote:2iib7ypf] Yeah, I wondered about the time lapse. She says she was asked by James Reilly not to say anything. It seems it is true though, he did confirm the story and said it happened as she said. And the doc in question apologised. So it seems it did happen.
boodlesdoodles Posts: 900
In one of the comments under the piece, a GP says that he too has had to deal with patients who say they have a medical card and have forgotten it, but it turns out they dont, and he regularly doesnt get paid when working as an out of hours doctor, but that the money doesnt go to him anyway, but to the out of hours service, so if thats the case, why was this doctor so fussed about getting the money?!
ReginaFalange Posts: 10290
It says in the article that a spokesman for Dr Reilly has confirmed that the incident occurred so I imagine that it is true! She was asked not to go public with it and agreed not to. I’d have no reason to doubt it.
Anne Cordelia Shirley Posts: 4731
[quote="ReginaFalange":wo31cpx4] She was asked not to go public with it and agreed not to. I’d have no reason to doubt it.[/quote:wo31cpx4] I don't doubt her, I just wonder why she felt the need to go to a newspaper with the story now? She said she wouldn't, but after five years changed her mind? That's a long time to wait, I don't understand that aspect of the story. Five years ago was the time to cause a stink about this, not now.