GP visit, normal?

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

hyperrational Posts: 697
Went to GP today at 4+4 to get stitches out (obviously unrelated to pregnancy) and also confirm pregnancy/get the ball rolling. Well she completely refused to even talk about pregnancy. Very dismissive. Said it was too early, I was only a few days and could still miscarry or have my period. She was completely negative and told me to come back in two weeks. Is this the norm? Wouldn't answer any questions I had as (and I quote) "you might not even get far enough to need to know the answers." Have to say as a first time mum, this has really knocked me. I know GP tests aren't as sensitive and that's probably why she said come back.....but in two weeks?! Has anyone else been to their GP this early? Would it be normal to wait until I'll be 6+4? Don't know what the point of writing this is....I just feel like I've been knocked sideways.
reine Posts: 1771
No, this is not normal. Find another GP. She sounds horrific!
Sassypants Posts: 4461
Firstly, congrats on pregnancy. My GP was a bit like that too. Not much tact or cop on I would think. Mentioned miscarriage more than once. Twat. We all know there is a chance of it, we are all watching ourselves closely for the first 12 weeks especially. They must think we are fools. Would you consider changing GP? Wishing you a healthy and happy 9 months. It really is such an exciting time.
Poppyseed Posts: 513
Hi hyperrational, congrats on your BFP :o)ll . I went to my GP at 5+1 and she was a bit cagey too. She did a test to confirm but said it might give a negative result as it was so early. There was a tiny faint line so she confirmed the pregnancy and filled out the paperwork etc. but she kept saying it was so early and was a bit negative.... I guess they all are. Anyway, best of luck with your pregnancy :stork:
platinumbride Posts: 751
Ah jaysus what a way to start your pregnancy. Sounds like a proper wagon. I would definitely try to see a different doctor. My doctor was very very nice and I had so many worries about mc (still do!) but she really tried to get me to relax and said look you're pregnant and there's no reason to think you won't have a baby at the end of year so just take it a day at a time. Which is true for you too hyper rational, sorry you had a bad first pregnancy related visit. I really hope that the next few months are nothing but happiness for you x
You hit the nail on the head platinum, it's not a nice way to start a pregnancy. I don't know about changing GP, most of the established ones locally are already oversubscribed and not accepting new patients. My normal GP is off on extended medical leave and she was lovely. I doubt she'll be back before babs arrives. I think the fact that it's not normal is comforting. I know not overreacting!
CherylC Posts: 1071
That sounds awful! I went at 4+2, and my GP was lovely - she congratulated me on my pregnancy, gave me advice, answered my questions and signed me up for combined care. Congratulations!
[quote="CherylC":s2fqhuzs]That sounds awful! I went at 4+2, and my GP was lovely - she congratulated me on my pregnancy, gave me advice, answered my questions and signed me up for combined care. Congratulations![/quote:s2fqhuzs] Thanks Cheryl....the fact that I didn't get signed up for combined care is also annoying. I'll have to now pay again next week when I go (refuse to wait two more weeks). God if I had spotting or anything I'll be a wreck. DH wants me to look into changing to his GP.
colisaunt Posts: 202
I'd change gp if you could, though I know that's not always practical. On the plus side, you don't have to pay for gp visits when you're pregnant and attending the gp for pregnancy related stuff so you shouldn't have to pay next time. Best of luck with everything and congrats!
RainbowNinja Posts: 4437
God, I would definitely be changing GPs, how rude! My GP was lovely when I went to her and it was early as well. Did a urine test and sent a letter off to the hospital.