GP wrote cert to prevent me lifting..in trouble with work!!!

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Mama2b! Posts: 131
I have a physical job that requires heavy lifting at times. As i'm pregnant my GP advised against this and gave me a cert for work saying i had recurring backpain as it was very early to mention i was pregnant yet. Now work has requested i get a medical with their doctor and from the tone of their memo, it looks like they don't believe me or that I'm possibly planning a claim against them!!!!! What do I do? Even if i get a medical with their GP and tell him i'm pregnant, it makes me and my own GP look like liars as he put backpain on the cert. He was just trying to protect me from getting grief at work and minding my pregnancy. I'm such a fool - I shouldn't have said anything. Help!!
babybliss Posts: 437
Mama2b, Try not to worry, as that’s the last thing you need when pregnant. I would go to the work medical check-up and explain the situation to the doctor there, I’m sure he / she will understand and won’t think anything bad about you or your own gp. Also, whatever you say to him is confidential, so go and talk to him to get this sorted. I’m sure it will all work out fine :lvs
Shannan Posts: 1334
They are probably worrying more about covering themselves insurance wise than thinking you are lying. As far as I know the doctor is not allowed to tell them anything you don't say they can, so I would explain the situation to the doctor. If you have certain types of jobs you are better off sometimes telling your own boss and explaining things, you can always ask them not to say anything to anyone else for now.
neeov Posts: 4256
Let your own doctor know too. The work doctor will probably contact your doctor anyhow.
Mama2b! Posts: 131
Thanks girls..i'm going to my own GP to clear this whole thing up and if totally necessary, i'll go visit work's doctor. He might even ring the work GP and sort it out themselves...he shouldn't have put that it's recurring either, just a temparory kind of thing until i revealed that i am pregnant! But i think if the work doctor knows i'm pregnant, she'll definately tell my work (lots of dodgy sh*t has gone on in the past between these people)..
gogogirl Posts: 1071
hi Mama2b, try not to worry. A similar thing happened to me. Doc didnt put pregnancy on the cert, he put a problem with my knee which i have and said no lifting. After I was able to announce the pg, I went to my boss and explained that I was pg and that the previous cert was valid but that the doc and I didnt want to highlight the pg early for personal reasons and that my knee coupled with the pg and the lifting was too much for me. They totally understood. I'd go to the work doc and explain that yes you are pg and your back is at you and you've been advised against lifting and reserved your right to not mention the pg until a later date. The doc will be delighted that you are pg and not injured and ready to sue. He'll just let your bosses know that your cert is valid and he wont mention the pregnancy until you decide. Try not to worrry, congrats
jen2007 Posts: 218
try noy to worry about it hope all works out for you let us know how u get on
ellee Posts: 666
[quote="babybliss":395d8wbu]Mama2b, Try not to worry, as that’s the last thing you need when pregnant. I would go to the work medical check-up and explain the situation to the doctor there, I’m sure he / she will understand and won’t think anything bad about you or your own gp. Also, whatever you say to him is confidential, so go and talk to him to get this sorted. I’m sure it will all work out fine :lvs[/quote:395d8wbu] Ah, work doctor is WORK doctor! Not YOUR doctor - I doubt there is the same patient confidentiality there at all. Can you not tie in the (alleged?) back pain to the pregnancy? People do suffer with it when pg. Best to appear consistent if you can. Even if its a bit of a reach. Have a chat with your own gp about how to handle it maybe?
shoppergal Posts: 1179
If your job requires regular lifting and you've put in a cert stating you can't due to recurring back pain I can totally see why they've sent you to the company doctor. They're obviously concerned about the possibility of a claim. Could you not speak to HR and tell them about the pregnancy but advise you don't want it known at this stage. That should cancel out the need to go to the company doc.
Thumbelina Posts: 2340
Your company doctor will have taken the same hipocratic oath regarding patient confidentiality as your own GP. Anything you tell him/her in confidence, MUST be kept in confidence....there are exceptions regarding company medicals (alcohol/drug abuse & that sort of thing, there's usually a disclaimer you have to sign) but pregnancy is not one of them. It's a good idea to get your GP to contact the company doctor as well.