Grand Dad booked his holiday for when first grandchild's due

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

djdee Posts: 2118
:o( :o( :o( :o( :o( :o( :o( My mam and dad are separated. My mum has booked her holidays early this year and so have DH's parents (some time in March) so they dont miss the arrival of their grandchild. My dad phoned me last night asking when the baby is due, I told him and he said "Oh I wont be here I am going away" O:| O:| O:| O:| The more I think of it the more upset i get.... :o( :o( :o( I was really looking forward to him being here and visiting his first grandchild in the hospital. He didnt seem too concerned. He goes away about 3/4 times a year and I am really upset that he couldnt book his holiday before or after the babys arrival like the other grandparents have done.......... Am I over reacting or would you girls be upset too.......?
tanyababy. Posts: 511
yes I think I would be a bit upset too if that was my situation. But try not to let it get u down, its just a shame ur Dad doesnt realise what a big event it is or maybe he just isnt thinking straight?
Forgottenpassword Posts: 1078
Okay, I can see why you are upset, but, how long will he be away for? Does he live close to you, would he necessarially have come straight to see you when the baby was born? Are there other people involved in his plans? Try not to get too upset, when the baby comes you will be so wrapped up in your new little person it won't be as much of a big deal that he is not there as you think it is. Nobody in our families saw DS until he was 5 months old!! FP
[quote="Forgottenpassword":1ihhpqxg]Okay, I can see why you are upset, but, how long will he be away for? Does he live close to you, would he necessarially have come straight to see you when the baby was born? Are there other people involved in his plans? Try not to get too upset, when the baby comes you will be so wrapped up in your new little person it won't be as much of a big deal that he is not there as you think it is. Nobody in our families saw DS until he was 5 months old!! FP[/quote:1ihhpqxg] He has a gf so she prob booked it without thinking i suppose.... he said he would be gone 2 weeks. he lives 40 mins from me, he doesnt drive. I'm going to try not get upset as his gf prob booked without confirming dates with him.
Sassy Posts: 2269
I know how you feel my father in law did this to us last year. Only he booked a last minute deal to fly off on the day i was due. DD ended up being 3days early so he got to see her, but dh is self employed and works with father so he couldnt take time off when dd was born as fil was away.
workingmom Posts: 3429
I'm sorry to say it, but babies don't mean the world stops for everyone. You will be inundated with visitors anyways, I know I would have been glad of a break from them all in the first few days. Then, visitors dwindle away.... then no one visits, and then your dad will be home to visit, and it'll be a nice change for you. I know you are upset, but try to look at the bright side.
thanks girls looking at it from a different angle now and feel alot better.
Toni Baloney Posts: 544
Sometimes boys are so dumb. If he had to ask you when the baby was due then he obviously didnt think of it when he was booking it :duh: Sure you could go early or late (my friend gave birth yesterday and she was 17 days overdue, in which case your dad would be back in perfect time!). It was probably just pure lack of thought, try not to take it personally.
hipbaby Posts: 4530
Men just don't think these events are as important as they are. My Bro had his 1st child last Saturday and had to fly to chicago yesterday for a work event...if I was his wf >:o( >:o( >:o( but in fairness it can't be helped. The week i was due my DH flew to germany with work I was not a happy bunny and I think once he was gone he realised the importance of the event and flew back the next day! I then went 10days over but thats neither here nor there :o0 www.hipbaby.ie
bam bam Posts: 1756
Ah try not to worry chic, men are silly. If our baby comes early my dad won't be here and with my mam passed away I did get a little upset but then they can't put their lives on hold either baby could come anytime. My SIL could be away too and it'll be their first niece/nephew, but i'm just focusing on who will defo be here and sure the babs isn't going to be going anywhere. I can see why you were upset too though chic!