Granny's engagement ring!

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

bride1975 Posts: 214
Hi all, my mum gave me my granny's engagement ring as a present a little while ago to have made into my wedding ring. i was really delighted she gave it to me (as mum had worn it everyday since granny died) but wasn't sure how it would turn out as a wedding ring. went to a jewllers in city west (that i had got my engagement ring in) and told him what i wanted. i got it the other day. it is the most beautiful wedding ring and i Love :lvs it. but more importantly it was my granny's and has lots of history to it. the jeweler changed it from a really high setting to a really low one and although he used all the yellow gold of the original, he made a white gold ring. just thought i'd let people know that rings can be [i:vkssz00o]totally[/i:vkssz00o] changed, so if you have one lying around that you wouldn't really wear, go in and get it re-made. (it's also has the advantage of being cheaper). :wv :wv :wv
gottabfp Posts: 5641
ah thats lovely, post us a picture
hagfromhell Posts: 2146
Tears in my eyes reading this, my poor Gran passed away almost two weeks ago at 92 years of age. We were very close to her as she always lived in our house. She was only sick 24 hours. After she died I asked my Mam if I could have her ring to get made into my wedding ring but we discovered through another Aunt that Granny lost the ring a couple of months ago. Am so glad you got that done, it is very special to you now :xxx
duck1 Posts: 95
Aw, that is so lovely for you. It will mean so much more to you than any ring you could have picked in a shop. My mam passed away many years ago and my sister got her wedding ring. When my brother got married last year they brought it in to a jewellers and had it split in two. Now they both have a piece of it. It's a lovely thing to have. It can, in a way, be your something new and your something old
Bunnybaby Posts: 2701
awh thats really nice, so nice to know that you will always have part of her with you iykwim....im doing the same with my mams wedding ring going to get it melted down and split between my wedding ring and h2b i think its such a nice way of having them with us O:o)
WinterWonderland Posts: 1242
Ah thats gorgeous, congrats. As special as a wedding ring is now it will even more for you. I also wanted this done with one of my Nana's wedding rings but it was "lost" in the nursing home :o( I'm sure its beautiful, and a lovely way to have your Nana with you on the day :lvs :lvs
nissi Posts: 683
Aw wow, thats so nice. I never thought that could be done, it'l make the ring extra special for you. :lvs
shoegals Posts: 1640
Thats brilliant bet your chuffed, it's lovely to have some history with a ring you'll wear for the rest of your life too!
woohoo09 Posts: 630
aaaaaaaaaaw that's so nice to hear. i bet you're delighted you did that. i have a necklace that my gran left me that i purposely gave to mam to keep for my wedding day (even though i had no idea when it would be!!! haha) i also intend to wear a part of my mum's wedding ring. she had it shaved down a few years ago as it was a very wide band. the litlte bit that is left over is about the same width as i am looking for, so i am going to ask her if i can use it. we'll see if it fits with my e ring!!! it's nice when things have a bit of sentimental meaning isn't it?