Grinding my teeth

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Ellefun Posts: 1312
I'm pretty wound up at the moment and anxious about a few things. I seem to be clenching my jaw and grinding my teeth in my sleep. One night I dreamt I clenched so hard that my teeth all shattered like glass. It was so vivid that when I woke up I was petrified I'd find bits of my teeth on the pillow :eek . Is there an over the counter gum shield/bite guard I can get?
eefc Posts: 1201
I have this problem except its more like chomping than grinding but more or less the same thing. Fractured two teeth because I have neglected it . I bit the bullet (pardon the pun!) and went and got a mouth guard and have never slept better. Defo recommend it. Getting one over the counter means you have to boil them and hope the impression you do of your teeth on the shield is good enough .Dentist ones are exact moldings and really work. They are 175 where I am living but dentist giving 25 euro off because no one is getting them I suppose. Well worth it. HTH :thnk
I need a dental check up anyway so I suppose I can ask them then. I don't want to risk chipping or doing damage to the teeth. I'm nervous enough at the dentist without needing painful repair work to be done. Ta for the reply :thnk
belcra Posts: 1097
I do the same and have a mouthguard from the dentist which really helps. They make an exact mould of your upper teeth so it fits you perfectly. Worth spending the money rather than having your teeth cracked!!
Dancing Queen Posts: 2591
I think I'm clamping in the night too. Sometimes I get up and I have pain in my cheekbones :( The thoughts of having a guard in my mouth makes me want to vomit. I can't hold a pen in my mouth :o0
Well I took the plunge and made an appointment for this Saturday. I just hope they don't find anything else wrong. The thoughts of needing a filling, or worse still, an extrction are enough to make me :hic I even hate the cleaning and scraping. I have chills at the thoughts of it.