Group B Strep and Antibiotics during Labour?

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

lollyfp Posts: 2441
Hi girls, Just wondering if any of you had Group B Strep during your pregnancy and had to be treated with antibiotics during labour? I am attending the Coombe soon (hopefully, 6 days over now, LOL!!) I am just wondering how they handle it at the hospitals - i.e. when do they start the IV (how far along are you) and does it mean you are confined in your bed? From what I hear you need the IV/antibiotics for at least 4 hours before giving birth? If you get the 4 hours do they stop it then or do you have to keep receiving it the whole time until you deliver? Also were all your babies ok afterwards or did you have any issues from Group B Strep? Thanks!!!!! :wv :wv :wv (will post in M&K forum too)
MrsClucky Posts: 440
Thanks! What hospital did you go to as someone else told me they had to stay hooked up to an IV so I wonder does it depend per hospital?? :thnk
MrsClucky Posts: 440
Hi I havent had a baby yet (although I do have grp B strep) but I used to work in Holles Street, thats how it was done there! Its safe to give it as a slow push so don't know why they'd opt to hang it as a drip- anyway it would only take 20 minutes or so to go into the vein even if it was attached to a drip!
[quote="bluebaby":3a4std84]Hi I havent had a baby yet (although I do have grp B strep) but I used to work in Holles Street, thats how it was done there! Its safe to give it as a slow push so don't know why they'd opt to hang it as a drip- anyway it would only take 20 minutes or so to go into the vein even if it was attached to a drip![/quote:3a4std84] Thanks bluebaby! :thnk