Group B Strep - positive in 2nd preg?

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

fluffybaby Posts: 174
I was positive for Group B Strep in my first pregnancy and receives IV antibiotics in labour and I'm just wondering from other people's experiences were you routinely tested / treated in your second pregnancy?
MrsMOnAMission Posts: 376
Cons has noted on my chart that I am to start antibiotics as soon as I arrive in hospital in labour, they don't plan on testing again just treat it either way
Silini2 Posts: 3834
Fluffy this is my third baby and I tested positive for strep b when preg w first baby. Since then they didnt repeat the test just treated me as routine, same thing iv antibiotics in labour. It's plastered all over the front of my chart do I think once you test positive you are treated for it every time regardless. It's a pain but I guess they can't take any chances.
Great, thanks for that ladies! I'm going to a different hosp this time so I'll just let them know that I had it last time.
Good luck fluffy! I think they should screen for it routinely. In fact I had been planning to be tested for it anyway later in preg but they found out at 26w I had it as I had a bleed due to a UTI and they tested for it then.
Yeah I do find it crazy that they don't routinely test for it here whereas other countries test all pg women!
Mooches Posts: 875
I had it on first pg but will be requesting to be retested this time round. I had my first round of IV antibiotics during labour but DD came quickly so I didn't get second round so she had to get an IV (precautionary) and I had to take her to neonatal every 12 hrs for 3 days. Want to get home asap this time round & would rather it be me with needles and IVs instead of a tiny newborn. It's routinely checked for in Limerick so hoping I'll be tested again anyway.
Mooches I'd say they will treat you without the need for a retest. In WRH where I am they treat you every time as if you have it, they don't re test. Maybe find out if it's same in limerick?? That's tough about your LO it's one of my fears I won't get it in time. Wasn't the case on my last two as I was induced on both!
sunny1 Posts: 995
mooches Im attending Limerick and have never been tested and wasnt tested on last pregnancy either. At what stage were u tested? Is it a blood test or a swab? is it too late to ask for it at 38 weeks?
Mooches Posts: 875
Sunny, it was at my first appointment at 13wks & was the mid-stream urine test (same that they test for HIV etc) but think they only tell you if you're positive but definitely worth asking about. I was tested in Jan 2011 so unless they've changed things I expect it to be the same.