Group B Strep - Test myself ODD?

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

ladybirdy Posts: 157
Hi there I had group B with DD and had anti biotics during labour - thankfully all was fine. So tested again last week with consult - however I had to swab myself???? In the loo, he gave me swab told me what to do and sent me off... now that's fine as to be honest I am so swollen down there these days don't fancy anyone going near me but what if I didn't swab correctly?? What if comes back negative I won't feel confident that correct result..... what dya think??
Idina Posts: 1289
That sounds very strange-Do they not have to use a speculum? (sp)
nope just a long stick thing bit like giant ear bud and he said just to swab area, sorry TMI, just inside labia no need to insert like tampon or anything.... just don't feel I will trust a negative result.
sparklybabe Posts: 3353
thats v odd. you dont have to do a speculum for a lower vaginal swab. but tbh i wouldnt be happy with this either if i were you. why dont you say you were thinking about it the next time you see her and you think you touched the top of the swab! and youd be happier if she did a repeat just in case!
hiya got a call from consult secretary and said came back negative - which is great but I feel a bit uneasy about it.... what if I didn't come in contact with the correct area if you know what I mean. I said the sec who is really nice I am a bit dubious and she said when with him on fri to say you feel concerned. I am trying to figure why he gets you to do yourself anyway! I mean I am paying him.... is it not his job? I just feel stupid saying it and that he will think I am a nut as I keep going on about size of baby too and being nervous about delivery and he just nods and says 'average size'. very nice man but now I feel in awkward position. Last time I asked him about swelling and numbness and soreness 'down below' he just said its normal and varicose veins - didn't even look, thought that was odd too. Don't get me wrong as I said happy not to be examined until necessary but I mean should he not check?? Anyway, just feel a bit like a spa now and not sure what to do. Happy it is negative but not 100% convinced....
you are paying him therefore you are a consumer therefore yes it is his job if you not happy or worried then tell him
Surfbaby Posts: 396
Can I just ask is there anyway Grp B Strep can be tested in another way? I was told I had it at my last apt but I was ever swabbed. Sorry to hijack the thread!!
sometimes it can show up in a urine sample
Surfbaby Posts: 396
Thanks Sparklybabe :thnk
yeah you are right sparkly - I think I am just being all emotional about it all - blame hormones :-8