Grrr. I am in the wrong profession...

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Angel! Posts: 1494
Should have been a GP.... Can't believe this. I've been on the pill for 11 years, and have NEVER once lost my prescription for it. I keep it in my wallet always. Last Friday I went to fill it, and it wasn't there :eek So I went home and ransacked the house. No sign. I was so angry with myself... It also had my Eltroxin on it. I needed to take a new pill Friday night so I flew down to local chemist as they'd have me on computer.... ...They had none of my pill left. PANIC. Luckily my sister had a spare pack from before she got pregnant, so I was ok. Anyway called GP's office on Monday to ask for a new prescription. I had only got this one last month so had only used up 1 of the 6 months. They told me no problem, I could pick it up Tuesday evening... ...So I got to surgery yesterday and picked it up.... They charged me €20 :eek :eek :eek I said "What?" and was told by the receptionist that the Doctor always charges for repeat prescriptions. I told her it wasn't a repeat, that I had lost mine. And she said they charge for lost ones too. I said "Jesus Christ. That's a bit much isn't it?" and I think she thought I was going to explode. WTF ?????? €20 to sign a bleedin piece of paper ??????? So I decided this is my last prescription. After this 6 months, I'm going off the pill. We'll be careful, but if it happens, it happens. We won't be too upset. Seriously, €55 for a visit and then €20 O:| >:o( O:| >:o( O:| >:o(
sun flowers Posts: 3421
I've worked in a GP's for a number of years, the receptionist should have used her cop on and not charged you when you mentioned it was for a lost prescription.. keep the receipt and claim back tax on the Med 1 form.. you'll get a little back
Liela Posts: 181
That sucks! If this is a GP you go to regularly they should have the decency not to charge you. Bet you will find the other presecription now you have the new one and you will go mad. You probably live in a town. They really extract the urine in towns/cities. The country doctors are way more reasonable but not always guaranteed to be good. I went to a doctor recently because I had a chest infection and a cold. It was my third/fourth illness in a month and I told the doctor that I was fed up with being sick and could I have a dose of antibiotics to clear my system. She said it was a post-viral cough and since I had no temperature she wouldn't give me them. Told me the usual crap about plenty of fluids and vitamins which I was already doing. $65 for nothing. 2 days later I had a temperature of 41.9, a killer cough ( I nearly chocked a few times coughing up and was vomiting), headache, sinusitis. Went to another doctor crying because I was so sick and miserable and he immediately put me on Amoxycillin FORTE with a repeat in case I didn't get better. I had an upper respiratory tract infection and acute sinusitis. Stupid first doctor. Stupid stupid woman.
rock-n-roll-wife Posts: 6579
bokkie..not being funny but isnt it a bit blase to be saying you're not going to continue your contraception just because of this incident/the cost?
sun flowers Posts: 3421
[quote="Liela":1fzw1rzr]That sucks! If this is a GP you go to regularly they should have the decency not to charge you. Bet you will find the other presecription now you have the new one and you will go mad. You probably live in a town. They really extract the urine in towns/cities. The country doctors are way more reasonable but not always guaranteed to be good. I went to a doctor recently because I had a chest infection and a cold. It was my third/fourth illness in a month and I told the doctor that I was fed up with being sick and could I have a dose of antibiotics to clear my system. [b:1fzw1rzr]She said it was a post-viral cough and since I had no temperature she wouldn't give me them. Told me the usual crap about plenty of fluids and vitamins which I was already doing. $65 for nothing. [/b:1fzw1rzr] 2 days later I had a temperature of 41.9, a killer cough ( I nearly chocked a few times coughing up and was vomiting), headache, sinusitis. Went to another doctor crying because I was so sick and miserable and he immediately put me on Amoxycillin FORTE with a repeat in case I didn't get better. I had an upper respiratory tract infection and acute sinusitis. Stupid first doctor. Stupid stupid woman.[/quote:1fzw1rzr] Just to give you a little insight to why doctors do this.. I've been working for them for years and I asked the question as to why.... basically when they examine you "the infection" isnt evident just yet and they wont prescribe antibiotics until they have evidence... it happens so much.. you present yourself with no signs of infection pay your money and told its viral to wake up the next day dying with an infection....
[quote="rock-n-roll-wife":1tzjtr18]bokkie..not being funny but isnt it a bit blase to be saying you're not going to continue your contraception just because of this incident/the cost?[/quote:1tzjtr18] Well, 6 months into the marriage, I'd probably be wanting to come off it anyway. I'll be 30, and we said we'd start a family soon enough. What I meant was, I'll come off the pill, and we'll use other methods for a while. But it's not the end of the world if it does happen... Trust me, I am in no way blase about the pill. Been on it 11 years, and never had an accident... Touch Wood.... It just made me so mad that you have to pay for these things. And every 6 months, I have to fork out €55 to get a repeat prescription. She doesn't even give me a check up. I go in, sit down and she asks me what's wrong. I tell her I need my pill, she prints and signs it and I leave.... Waste of bloody time and money if you ask me...
Ladybird32 Posts: 1216
[quote="sun flowers":bexdmxtl][quote="Liela":bexdmxtl]That sucks! If this is a GP you go to regularly they should have the decency not to charge you. Bet you will find the other presecription now you have the new one and you will go mad. You probably live in a town. They really extract the urine in towns/cities. The country doctors are way more reasonable but not always guaranteed to be good. I went to a doctor recently because I had a chest infection and a cold. It was my third/fourth illness in a month and I told the doctor that I was fed up with being sick and could I have a dose of antibiotics to clear my system. [b:bexdmxtl]She said it was a post-viral cough and since I had no temperature she wouldn't give me them. Told me the usual crap about plenty of fluids and vitamins which I was already doing. $65 for nothing. [/b:bexdmxtl] 2 days later I had a temperature of 41.9, a killer cough ( I nearly chocked a few times coughing up and was vomiting), headache, sinusitis. Went to another doctor crying because I was so sick and miserable and he immediately put me on Amoxycillin FORTE with a repeat in case I didn't get better. I had an upper respiratory tract infection and acute sinusitis. Stupid first doctor. Stupid stupid woman.[/quote:bexdmxtl] Just to give you a little insight to why doctors do this.. I've been working for them for years and I asked the question as to why.... basically when they examine you "the infection" isnt evident just yet and they wont prescribe antibiotics until they have evidence... it happens so much.. you present yourself with no signs of infection pay your money and told its viral to wake up the next day dying with an infection....[/quote:bexdmxtl] Thats so true, I have asthma and one time went to the doctor coz I was really really ill, was told I had a viral thing that was "going around" Turned out I had pneumonia! Really! True story people! :eek
Liela Posts: 181
[quote:2lgvmozp]It just made me so mad that you have to pay for these things. And every 6 months, I have to fork out €55 to get a repeat prescription. She doesn't even give me a check up. I go in, sit down and she asks me what's wrong. I tell her I need my pill, she prints and signs it and I leave....[/quote:2lgvmozp] :eek :eek :eek FFS! My GP back home weighed me, checked my blood pressure and did a breast examination for lumps every 6 months. They have to do these things! She also made sure I had a smear 1 year after the first one and then one every 3 years after that. What's your GP playing at?!! The blood pressure check is especially important when you are on the pill long term. AND she asked whether I was smoking or not and advised me on my diet too.
Yeah, she used to do the blood pressure, breast check, weight check etc. But hasn't done it in over 2 years now !!! So basically, I am paying for a signature !!!
io Posts: 136
!! My doctor doesn't charge a thing for repeat prescriptions. That's just crazy. Just so everyone knows, if you run out of your prescription or lose the packet you can go into a chemist and get it, you have to sign a form and give the name of your doctor, have a little chat etc but they'll give it to you. They do check up on you so that you aren't just going around getting stuff without prescription, but it's handy to know when you're stuck. I had to do it once when I was in college had left it at home one weekend and another time when my wash bag went missing on holiday.