Guest book- thing of the past?

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

seabride11 Posts: 231
Ladies, we are at the little bits and pieces stage- was looking up guest books and realised the last two weddings if not the last five six weddings I don't remember signing a guest book- always end up copying the message that the person before me wrote anyway- are they a thing of the past- Have seen the photo frame also - close friend had it at her wedding last Dec she left it out near the bathroom and by the end of the night the messages were fairly daft plus some scribbled out and one genius woz here message- I suppose I have half answered my own question - opinions please :wv
frazzledkitty Posts: 882
im having a fingerprint tree instead and its gorgeous, i cant wait to get it framed and i hope everyone does it properly and doesnt smudge it on me :o0
ive seen them frazzledkitty, fab but I know the control freak ( teacher) in me would prob be standing near it warning people how to do it "properly" -hope it turns out just how you want it
Jawl Posts: 8881
I was going to get one, then I thought I've a big decorative box for my engagement cards and I am going to add the wedding cards to it. Everybody always writes a little good luck/best wishes message in the cards anyway, so I thought why do it twice?
missusT2be Posts: 64
I kinda think the "woz ere" messages are the type of things that will give you a giggle in years to come :o0 I'll def be having one & quite possibly a video booth too. My friend had one & messages are great, the drunk'n ones are hillarious.. she actually had on person who was saying they were sorry they never got around to it when they were actually on it 3 times :yelrotflmaosmilie:
Thanks ladies, think I'll rob your idea Jawl as I already have the engagement cards in a box and the more I think of it I love taking out old cards and re reading them - each to there own but the woz ere business would crack me up - night all another job ticked off the list
Littlebo Posts: 2598
I had the engagement frame and i wasn't really pushed on it but as it was part of my Photograpers package I took it. Tbh it was mostly signed by the teenagers as it was so new to them! Glad I have it but that's it. Didn't do guestbook but I think it is nice.
Sally76 Posts: 525
[quote="Jawl":2oc2lhdo]I was going to get one, then I thought I've a big decorative box for my engagement cards and I am going to add the wedding cards to it. Everybody always writes a little good luck/best wishes message in the cards anyway, so I thought why do it twice?[/quote:2oc2lhdo] Unfortunately, you'd be surprised at how many people just sign their name on the card and write very little else. We had a guestbook and I'm so glad that we did -- one of my favourite parts of the day was when my husband and I went up to the bridal suite just to take a break and we took ten minutes or so just to read through the lovely messages in the guestbook. The messages in the book were much more personal than anything written on our wedding cards. People commented on things that had just happened on the wedding day, the meal, my dress, how much they were enjoying themselves, etc. We started passing the book around to the tables during the meal, so people had a few drinks in them but not too many -- by the time they wrote a message, they were all lovely and sentimental! I'd really recommend getting a guest book. Ours cost just €10 on Ebay, so it wasn't expensive.
Jawl Posts: 8881
I kinda think if they're not flowery enough to write a message in the card, they won't be big on writing guest book messages.
GreenerPastures Posts: 7284
Friends of ours had a Wishing Tree which was lovely. There were tags hanging on each branch and people wrote a wee message to the couple. She then took them all off and is keeping them in a book. At our wedding we did pass out a guestbook at the meal (captive audience!) and are glad we did. I love looking back on the messages. I have the engagement cards, wedding cards and guestbook to look back on now. I'm super sentimental though. But in answer to your question in all the weddings I've been to only ours and one friend had any like a guestbook.