Gumtree/Carzone scams - hilarious!

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Time For A Change Posts: 6885
As I mentioned before, I put my car up on Gumtree to see if we could sell it. We've advertised before on Carzone and all we got were those scam emails. Checked my email last night and I just cracked up laughing at the latest one. They're the only reply we've got so far, but it gave me a laugh anyway. When they replied first time, they said the standard - is it still available and what is the price. The price was already stated on the ad - as I pointed out to them, and I said to ring the mobile number to arrange a viewing (I was suspicious already). This is what I got yesterday - Thanks for the prompt response.. I am ready to buying it now for birthday gift for brother in-law and i am at sea at the moment as i am a marine engineer and due to the nature of my work, phone calls making and visiting of website are restricted but i squeezed out time to check this advert and send you an email regarding it. I really want this item to be a surprise for brother in-law so i wont let him know anything about the item until it gets delivered to him, i am sure he will be more than happy with this item. I insisted on paypal because i don't have access to my bank account online as i don't have internet banking, but i can pay from my paypal account, as i have my bank a/c attached to it, i will need you to give me your paypal email address and your paypal full name and the price so i can make the payments asap for the item and pls if you don't have paypal account yet, it is very easy to set up, go to http://www.paypal.co.uk Web site registration will take only 5 minutes just get back to me as soon as you get back to me registered and get it set up, after you have set it up i will only need the e-mail address you use for registration with paypal so as to put the money through. I have a pick up agent that will come and pick the item up after i have made the payments... As hubby said, after he stopped laughing too, if they had time to "squeeze out time to check the advert and send me the (2) email" they'd have enough time to make a quick phone call. I replied back, "that has to be the funniest scam email I'd heard in a long time, thanks for the laugh and I assure you that I will not be selling my car to you!" :yelrotflmaosmilie:
emlo Posts: 1506
If nothing else, the fact that they said they were buying the car for their brother in law would set alarm bells ringing. Who buys a car for their brother in law :o0 :o0 At least make it try and sound [i:1rc4uhyr]a bit [/i:1rc4uhyr]believable!
Time For A Change Posts: 6885
+1 Emlo. I love my brothers in law - but I wouldn't buy them a car!!! :o0
sunny505 Posts: 1807
There is a brilliant website - I can't for the life of me think of the name of it. But there's this guy who basically scams the scammers - he doesn't take money from them or anything like that, just wastes their time. I'll ask my brother what it is cos it's hilarious. The funniest one I read was when the guy behind the 'scam the scammers' website made one scammer write out by hand one of the Harry Potter books - think he told him he would pay him for transcription. Then when he got it, he said it was not legible enough or something. Some of these emails back and forth go on forever - these people are desperate for money and would do anything. But it is nice to see the scammers being scammed.
lovebug997 Posts: 4034
Sunny would love to see that! When I was selling my last car I had it advertised in a few places but this guy rang me one day to say he was from an english finance company and was in contact with me on behalf of 2 of his clients who were interested in the car. They had to arrange finance through the UK because they were only young lads who had no credit history and couldn't get a loan here. He was offering me the asking price of the car for one of them and about 2000 extra from the other? All he wanted was a deposit from me of £100 to ensure that I'd be there for the lads to come and look at the car! If they bought it I'd get it back! Told him to shove it where the sun don't shine! My dad had only died shortly beforehand so was on a short fuse anyway! Don't think the poor chap knew what hit him! I think I had advertised it on the autotrader website and in the buy and sell and the amount of calls I used to get from other advertisers wanting me to advertise with them too was unreal! They got the same short fuse a few times and then I started telling them the car was sold just to get them to stop calling! :duh: :duh:
anoncb Posts: 379
I think this is the site you might have been talkin about It is well worth reading through if you have time, it's hilarious http://www.419eater.com/html/tope.htm