Gym ball for labour - do I bring it with me

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

pluto Posts: 3893
Just wondering what the situation is with this? I can't imagine us carrying in a big gym ball to the hospital when the time comes! Do they have them in there usually? Or maybe we will have to roll it in along with us?!
sinion Posts: 6050
I was wondering this too and picturing big bouncing runaway balls all over the labour wards :o0 I remember someone here saying that some hospitals (namely Rotunda I think) stopped providing them but others do have them available? I'd say check with your own hospital unless you'd rather use your own
NewGirl Posts: 1143
I didn't bring mine as the hospital had them - I didnt use theirs either. Give them a ring & see do they supply them or should you bring your own. I used mine at home from about 35weeks, I sat on it at the edge of the couch with the laptop resting on the arm for about an hour every evening, I found it great, I was a bit sore after it each time - I am convinced this was the baby moving down. My waters broke at 5am on due date - I used it from when contractions started (1pm 8hrs later) until 11pm when I went to bed & tried to sleep - I didnt sleep so got up around 3am & sat on ball from then until around 6am when I got ready for the hospital. I found it great & am convinced it helped move babs down.
susmurf Posts: 1060
At my antenatal course the midwife advised putting the gym ball into the car anyway so that if there isn't one available you can send someone to get it for you. THats what I plan to do anyway.
baby08 Posts: 181
[quote:330o936l]At my antenatal course the midwife advised putting the gym ball into the car anyway so that if there isn't one available you can send someone to get it for you. THats what I plan to do anyway.[/quote:330o936l] in rotunda that's what they told me as well. they do supply them but she said you never know they could all be in use when you come in!
honeybee Posts: 624
was wondering about this also can anyone tell me if there is any specific size ball to buy or does it just depend on ones height?