GYM GYM GYM

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

nearlywed Posts: 254
Hi All I'm a newbie to the gym - had a really good induction but wondering what you do when there? I'm not planning on spending every waking moment in there so a good 45 - hour workout would be what i want thanks weewedding
rathkenny Posts: 936
Hi Weewedding! I had an assessment done at the gym when I started and they recommended the following 1 hour work-out: - 10 minutes warm up on treadmill (walking on flat so that you get your heart rate up to fat burning zone) - 10 minutes on treadmill with incline level 3 so that your heart rate is in the cardio zone - 20 minutes on cross-trainer - heart rate in cardio zone - 15 minutes bike - heart rate in cardio zone - 5 minutes cool-down on bike I was doing this 3 times a week along with WW and found the weight fell off! Unfortunately things in work went mental and stopped going to the gym and put some of the weight back on! O:| O:| I just started back to the gym last week and doing WW online so I'm aiming to lose a stone by Christmas which I think is very achievable!! (Fingers crossed!!) :o)ll :o)ll Best of luck with it! :wv :wv
nearlywed Posts: 254
Thanks for that! I managed to drag myself there today so feeling great now :o)ll
rathkenny Posts: 936
Good stuff! It's getting into the routine of going that's difficult. Once you get used to it being part of your life it's so much easier! O-O
ms crooner Posts: 621
I Had my induction on Monday night so going back tonight to do my hour and a half workout. It involves 5 mins on bike to warm up 20 mins walking on treadmill with inclines included 10 mins on cross trainer 5 mins on stepper Using 3 different weight machines Exercises with dumb bells Exercises on the ball Exercises on the Mat Followed by loads of stretches Long Hot Shower..... Tuna and Salad...........CSI for 2 hours......... bed......sleep
PersonalTrainer Posts: 24
O my god, unless you're training for a marathon, theres no need for that amount of time!
Hi Personnal Trainer I honestly thought the workout was a bit much and my legs are definitely telling me it is. I went to the gym on Monday and Wednesday night and going tonight. When I got home on Wednesday my legs felt weak walking up the stairs. I am enjoying the gym (hate the cross trainer though) but tend to leave one or two things out sometimes..... :o0 :o0 I told the person in the gym that I was hoping to fit nice and comfortable into a size 10-12 wedding dress not a size zero
PersonalTrainer Posts: 24
5 mins on bike to warm up - fair enough, but why go from bike to something else then? Warm up on what you are gonna use for the bulk of your session - depending on what your weight training afterwards would be. 20 mins walking on treadmill with inclines included - too long & kinda useless unless injured or unable to train on other machines 10 mins on cross trainer - change to this 15-20 mins with intervals dependant on your fitness level 5 mins on stepper - forget this My cardio advice: choose one of above machines - warmup,train & cool down on it! Total 25 mins. Wastes less time, keeps intensity levels up and because you use a different machine each session you get better crosstraining fitness & better results as you are not overtraining or getting too used to one thing! Xtrainer is hard but stick with it! It is my recommended for intensity yet saftey. Weights: Using 3 different weight machines - what ones? Exercises with dumb bells -what? Exercises on the ball - what? Exercises on the Mat - what in gods name is left to do here? Followed by loads of stretches - good but make sure you are doing the right and effective ones! You need a good weights session - maybe working on different body parts depending on training frequency and recovery rate. you shouldnt be exhausted going back into a session as you're causing havoc on adrenaline/cortisol levels through stress & fatigue which in the end will impede weightloss. balance work to rest is the key. recovery is the part you want your trainer to work on with you. metabolism boosting weight training is also the key. Cardio is good for minimal weightloss, excellent for heart & lung fitness...but does little for metabolism. Seems to me your trainer didnt really listen if you end up having to leave things out & are wrecked at the start. This is the worst thing that over enthusiastic instructors can do...trying to show you everything in one program and totally wiping you out or boring or demotivating you. A program shoould be short yet intense so as to be able to fit it into your day, leave you feeling energised yet locally fatigued not whole body exhaustion and also short & intense means you keep your focus and get the same work done in half the time! I was training that way approx 6 years ago - was a size 22-24 and killed myself every morn in gym...lost very little if any weight... changed gyms, met a bodybuilding fan & started weight training and began to lose weight after an initial delay where my body was getting used to things. Added in a sensible diet with less stodgy carbs after 4pm and within a year and a half had a perfect size twelve. That was a bit too small so went to 14 and was perfect. Have since trained as an instructor and tend to go against the norms of the usual instructors but in my experience with loads of clients, it works! Dont worry that weights will make you muscular cos trust me, have since tried to bodybuild and it just wasnt happening so had to give up! And even if I had developed huge muscles to rivals my mans, I would've preferred that to the 24 dress!!
Hi Personal Trainer As it would so happen was in Gym yesterday and my instructor is leaving next week. There is another guy there that I seems to be good so going to do my assessment with him. Tell him exactly what I need to see happening and take it from there. Thanks for all your advice, I am definitely taking it on board, making notes so next time I have assessment I know exactly what I want Thanks so much and well done on your success
Higgs particle Posts: 4557
Ya I was told to do weights. I do rowing machine for - 7 min Stretches Cross trainer - 15 mins (but have workd up half hr) weights for arms, back, legs every other day. I get in I get out, I keep my heart rate up for the whole session and as of Thursday I am a stone down!