Had private scan - will doctor/hospital take new dates?

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Daff Posts: 11644
Hi All, I had a private early scan on Monday to confirm dates, as period was a bit off with the Wedding. Turns out that my period was early by a week, but I ovulated the same time (this agrees with the random ovutlation test I did after honeymoon, as we were going to start ttc the next month!) The hospital are saying I'm due 2nd Feb going by my LMP. But after the scan I'm not due 9th Feb (she remeasued our little bean about a million times to make sure!) Will my consultant take the new due date? Thanks for the advice :wv
milis Posts: 7998
My hospital does not change the date unless it's more than 10 days out from the LMP. Other hospitals/consultants do!
Thanks Milis. Do you mind me asking which hospital you're going to? I'm going to Holles St. I just don't want to have to take maternity leave early if I know that i'm not going to be due for an extra week. Also, that makes me wonder - I've gone back to 7 weeks, when by my origional DD I'd be 8 weeks, which should I go by?
milis Posts: 7998
Sorry, just saw this now, I'm OLOL. No hospital will let you go more than 14 days past your due date, so it won't make any difference to your maternity leave. There are so many variables in the first few days, like implantation can happen anywhere from 5-12 days post ovulation, which is bound to make a difference to early dating scans. Wait and see what date the hospital give you at your first appointment, and go by that date.
Thanks Milis.
chigli Posts: 266
We were the other way around - I knew exactly my estimated dates were correct, but scans were putting the dates 10 days earlier - even though I knew that wasn't possible. Was attending Holles Street & they kept the scan dates rather than my own & wouldn't change them no matter what My waters broke early (at 35 weeks) and according to the scan dates, they were going to induce me the next day if nothing happened - thankfully an understanding doctor said we could wait until week 37 of our dates rather than scan dates. Felt much better that babs got that chance to grow that bit longer. Make sure they put a note in your chart regarding the difference between scan & estimated dates - just in case you have to explain it over and over and over and over again in the hospital (trust me, I had to go through the whole story with every midwife, nurse & doctor!)
[quote="chigli":16z7mlan]We were the other way around - I knew exactly my estimated dates were correct, but scans were putting the dates 10 days earlier - even though I knew that wasn't possible. Was attending Holles Street & they kept the scan dates rather than my own & wouldn't change them no matter what My waters broke early (at 35 weeks) and according to the scan dates, they were going to induce me the next day if nothing happened - thankfully an understanding doctor said we could wait until week 37 of our dates rather than scan dates. Felt much better that babs got that chance to grow that bit longer. Make sure they put a note in your chart regarding the difference between scan & estimated dates - just in case you have to explain it over and over and over and over again in the hospital (trust me, I had to go through the whole story with every midwife, nurse & doctor!)[/quote:16z7mlan] Thanks Chigli, I've a feeling the scan date is right for me, it matches my ovulation test. Thanks for your help, was worrying on which to go by. A week at my stage makes a big diference! :) Your scan was a private one independant of the hospital?
chigli Posts: 266
We paid for our first scan at 13 weeks in Mount Carmel ourselves & then the 20 week scan at Holles Street. Both scans confirmed the same dates. I had to get another scan at 34 weeks & noticed that each scan picture had an estimated date on it. The femur scan was 10 days ahead, but the belly scan & head scan were only 1 or days ahead of our estimated dates so I think they must take the earliest scan date.
snowbear Posts: 2107
I got pg straight after an early miscarriage, no AF in between so my dates do not conform to a 28 day cycle. Instead I ovulated/concieved somewhere between days 20 and 22, so I'm a week later than I should be according to LMP. My doc has accpeted that date BUT all of the hospital scans bore it out which helped.. I'm not sure if he'd take a private scan as quick. Worth trying though... that week will be vital if I go over and don't want to be induced M