Haemorrhaging

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

adelz Posts: 3088
Hi everybody, basically I would like to know is haemorrhaging common these days??? My mam has me wound up at how she nearly died having me due to haemorrhaging etc. I told her I will tell the midwife when I have my app and surely it has to happen alot and they are well able to deal with it these days and she just says "O I don't know, you have to be aware that you could die" :eek :eek Im freaked out, surely it is common and happens a lot, can anybody advise, cuz even though I am enjoying the pregnancy so far, this is always at the back of my mind, I can actally hear her saying it when I think of after the birth, anybody??
mum2d Posts: 90
Hi babsdel, I'm sure your mum went through an aweful time but I'd agree with you that hospitals and the medical world in general are so much better equipped and more advanced to deal with issues that might have previously been life threatening. Tell your mum you only want positive thoughts sent your way :xox
Thanks for that, I see your a day ahead of me, wishing you all the best, is this your first??? O I just keep hearing her saying it when I think beyond the birth and I have to say it frightens me to think it could happen, I know she is only trying to prepare me for the ifs..... But I am trying to tell myself, it must happen alot and they must deal with it every second day etc etc
mysteriousmise Posts: 1783
Ireland is one of the safest places in the world to give birth. The rate of infant and mother mortality is, I think the second lowest anywhere. It's safer to have a child in Ireland than it is in the UK, the USA, Australia, many other 1st world countries. Yes, 30 years ago some women died dring childbirth. Indeed, yes, it occasionally happens nowadays, but it's extremely rare. There's better medical equipment, better scanning, better practices, better procedures. They know more about what to look for, and how to treat it. Next time your Mam says you could die during childbirth/from a haemmhorage afterwards, you could point out that statistically speaking, you're more likely to be killed by a donkey, but thanks for the positivity.
:o0 :o0 I had to laugh when read that, thanks so much you really are making me see that Im not mad thinking it has to be dealt with more often these days. You're very good.
taurus09 Posts: 484
i lost alot of blood after dd and had to get transfusion etc., aparantly it happens once or twice a month (in the coombe) so its very unlikely to happen to you. even though it doesn't happen that often the staff are well able to deal with it so I wouldn't worry. even though i'm at a higher risk of it happening again, my doctor tells me I shoudl worry more about the car journey to the hosptial as I'm more likely to be in an accident that for it to happen again. You have no reason to believe it will happen to you just cause it happened to your mam so put it out of your mind completely. If only I could take my own advice :)
mysteriousmise Posts: 1783
You'll find that over the next few months, some people are only too delighted to tell you the worst about pregnancy/childbirth/having kids. Don't mind them! Just try to enjoy the pregnancy, and deal with worries or problems if and when they arise. Best of luck! And steer clear of Donkeys.
Delphinium Posts: 3027
Babsdel, I am only venturing into the labour and birth chapters of my books at this stage but the advice on this is as the others have said - it is increasingly rare nowadays as medical knowledge is so much better. The risk arises at delivery of the placenta when it separates from the uterus. Apparently (according to what I have read) you get an injection now as baby is delivered that promotes blood clotting and shrinking of the uterus and this helps prevent major blood loss when placenta detaches. Experienced mums may be able to confirm this. Don't worry about the scaremongers, even if it is your Mum! Every pregnancy and every baby is different so what happened to her will not necessarily happen to you and medicine and hospital policy has changed so much. Enjoy your pregnancy!
Thanks all so much :thnk :thnk You all have put my mind at ease. I got that book what to expect, but I find I only use it when want to check out something or that :-8 Maybe if I read up on it a bit more it wouldn't frighten me as much. Thanks so much all again :wv O and Ill def keep out of donkeys ways :yelrotflmaosmilie: :yelrotflmaosmilie:
mum2d Posts: 90
Hi Babsdel Yes I'm a March mum to be as well :wv This will be my second babs. I did very little to prepare for the birth on my DS apart from a one day antenatal class and thank god I had a very good experience. This time though I'm going to try to be a little more prepared so I'm going to do the gentlebirth course so I have complete control over any fears or worries which may creep in. As another poster said you'll hear so many scare stories over the coming months, people just love to share the worst of the worst!! [quote:2bo4hm1a]Best of luck! And steer clear of Donkeys.[/quote:2bo4hm1a] :yelrotflmaosmilie: Excellent advice