Hair colour and highlights

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Daddysgirl10 Posts: 55
Hi all, I'm just wondering is it still safe to dye your hair when pregnant or is there any time you should wait until?
cosy days Posts: 1014
My sis is a hair dresser and she says it's absolutely fine at any stage but maybe have a look online just incase xxxx
romobo Posts: 840
I have heard you are supposed to wait til after 12 weeks, would be interested to hear responses too! My greys are a state atm ;o(
raspberry ripple Posts: 1809
I asked my doctor this at about 9 weeks and she said 'yes, fine, whatever colour you like!' :o0
mrs ddt Posts: 3235
I got my highlights done at 5 weeks (just a t bar mind) and my grey touched up and so far no problems with babs. Mention it to the hairdresser so they don't go too far into your roots. Trying to drag it out as long as I can but getting the "badger" look so going to have to go again soon. Personal choice but my doc said it was fine too
blondiechick Posts: 1641
Well, as you can tell from my username...I have my hair highlighted.....I am blonde all over and have had my hair highlighted many, many times throughout this pregnancy with absolutely NO adverse effects whatsoever. the bleach won't touch your scalp so it's no problem to get it done. Just tell your hairdresser to be careful when doing it (my hairdresser was the 1st to know I was preg..well, apart from DH) as I got my highlights done at 5 weeks preg..I had just found out!
babychino Posts: 634
I get a full colour so I waited until after 12 wks, just in case. As OP said highlights don't touch the scalp so they're supposed to be a lot safer.
serenity Posts: 3675
Hi there I don't even get highlights - I get all over blonde tint... I asked my best friend who is a hairdresser and he said it's no problem at all.... I checked with my consultant who said the very same thing - absolutely no problem at all.. his response was, you can dye your hair, do your fake tan and get your nails done no problem :o0 :o0 :o0 :o0 I obviously looked like a 'fake' girl - I only asked about the roots :o0 :o0
Daddysgirl10 Posts: 55
That's great to know i hear so many different stories about this. Thanks for all your replies.
rosiemama Posts: 3363
do say to hairdresser though and be careful - i took a reaction to my usual colour when i was pg.