Hairdressers - bit of a brain fart

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

DementedAlterEgo Posts: 328
Apologies about having a bit of a brain fart...... I desperately need to get my hair cut and highlights in (been a few months!) I normally go to a hairdressers in Dublin but they are a bit on the pricey side. I pay the money cause I love the way the cut it and the highlights. However lately I haven't had the money to spend to get my hair done due to various different things going on and Christmas around the corner and I'm debating on whether or not to go to a different hairdressers closer to me that would be cheaper. Had talked to DH about this and of course because he's a bloke and doesn't fully get me he's a bit "whatever you decided darling" attitude. Sooo.....would you get your hair done where you normally get it done but you can't really afford it? Or would you chance your luck and go to a local hairdressers?
Girl From Mars Posts: 1446
I hate to say it but either you can afford something or you can't- there's no in between. And whatever the answer is regarding your hair situation you're the only one who knows for sure.
Anne Cordelia Shirley Posts: 4731
I've been going to a place called Hair Inc in Dublin city for a couple of years now. Its no frills, basic and cheap. I have highlights and it was costing me a mad amount to keep them by going to Peter Marks or the like, so I chanced Hair Inc one day, based purely on the price. I've noticed NO difference in the quality of the colour or cut and its costing me about a third to half less than Peter Marks. Ok you don't get a nice coffee or a chair with a massager but at the price, I don't care! Its make me realise how much I wasted in more expensive places all the years and I won't be lured by a fancy salon any more.
SunnyK Posts: 3834
I hear ya DAE. You technically COULD get the money up but it could do with being spent elsewhere too. I used to go to a salon in Templeogue and paid 60 quid for a trim.... grand like, usually pretty happy with it except once I got a different stylist and he chopped way too much off. Then last month I really couldn't afford the 60 quid and went to a local salon that had a deal on, so it was usually 30 euro for a cut and there was 20% off and I got it for 24 - bargain. Now the blow dry was horrendous, literally awful. But so long as the cut was ok I didn't care - and the cut is grand like. My layers are a small bit shorter than I would have wanted but nothing major. I would say it also kinda depends on your hair.... is there a lot of "style" to it? There isn't to mine, straight with a few layers,end of story - pretty hard to mess up. But if you've got a lot of styling then maybe you'd prefer the salon who are used to doing it already. I say give it a shot with the local one - sure it grows out soon enough anyway!
I have curly hair and I find hairdressers don't know how to cut it right. A couple of years ago I went local (won't be going back there!) and the girl put layers in my hair that looked awful when it was curly but grand when it was straight. I ended up going to the place that I currently go to and the girl had to chop my hair to get it back right. In fairness to the girl she kept as much lenght as possible and restyled it. I could get the money up to go to my usual place - but I'd be scrapping the barrel to get the money up. Where are Hair Inc?
Anne Cordelia Shirley Posts: 4731
On Bachelor's Walk-just off O'Connell St. I've converted my sister and a few friends to it, and all of them have been happy with them.
cabbagehead Posts: 3899
DAE I don't know what it says about me that my gut feeling is to tell you to go to your usual place :-8 :-8 :-8 I have curly hair and the [i:2ty8kvk2]number[/i:2ty8kvk2] of hairdressers who've given me f**ked up cuts... I've had it all, a mullet, triangle-head, RIDICULOUSLY short hair that made me look 12... Just because they won't listen when I ask them not to do sh!t like taking razors to the ends or "thinning it out a little". I've changed hairdressers a lot because I've moved a lot but now that I have found a lady who knows how to handle curls, and listens to what I say by Jaysus I won't be going anywhere else for a long time!! IMO curls are trickier than straight hair, therefore the potential for misery is higher. I am a vain, shallow, cow though so please disregard this advice if it's a choice between the electricity bill and your hair!
Rogue User Posts: 6101
Why not have a look at citydeals, groupon and see if they have a highlights deal - actually think they have one today? I get them and they are usually in very good salons. I have never been disappointed.
[quote="cabbagehead":224jsulg]DAE I don't know what it says about me that my gut feeling is to tell you to go to your usual place :-8 :-8 :-8 I have curly hair and the [i:224jsulg]number[/i:224jsulg] of hairdressers who've given me f**ked up cuts... I've had it all, a mullet, triangle-head, RIDICULOUSLY short hair that made me look 12... Just because they won't listen when I ask them not to do sh!t like taking razors to the ends or "thinning it out a little". I've changed hairdressers a lot because I've moved a lot but now that I have found a lady who knows how to handle curls, and listens to what I say by Jaysus I won't be going anywhere else for a long time!! IMO curls are trickier than straight hair, therefore the potential for misery is higher. I am a vain, shallow, cow though so please disregard this advice if it's a choice between the electricity bill and your hair![/quote:224jsulg] My gut feeling is saying to back to the same place but they know how to charge! :weep I hate it when they take razors to my hair or "thin it out". I have fine hair so it doesn't need thinning out. Very few hairdressers realise this. Your not vain Cabbagehead. If it wasn't so close to Christmas I'd have no problem going back to them. [quote="BrideOfRecession":224jsulg]Why not have a look at citydeals, groupon and see if they have a highlights deal - actually think they have one today? I get them and they are usually in very good salons. I have never been disappointed.[/quote:224jsulg] Are those deals any good? I get daily updates on them but sometimes I have to wonder are the prices too good to be true!?!?
cabbagehead Posts: 3899
[quote="DementedAlterEgo":2k9flbpo]My gut feeling is saying to back to the same place but they know how to charge! :weep [/quote:2k9flbpo] Would it be worth calling them to find out if they have any special offers on for the season? Or if they have a day of the week when they do specials? There are a few places near me that do discounts on their "quiet day" like a Tuesday morning... Of course, this depends on your work hours! Good luck and good hair days to you :custum59 (the crown symbolises good hair in this instance :o0 )