Hairdye and pregnancy? What IS the deal?

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Jacqueline Hyde Posts: 1145
I rang my hairdresser today to see if it was safe to get my hair done while pregnant. And the answer i got was 'it's a personal choice'. So no then? Or what...? Basically i was asking her what the guidelines were and she avoided the question. She then said they have ammonia free options and that highlights using the plastic yokes wouldn't touch off your head anyway. So is that ok? Any hairdressers out there who have an actual answer to my original question? Or someone who got a straight answer from their hairdresser?
Dr of love Posts: 425
You would be grand either way but a full hair dye does cause some tiny amounts of chemicals to enter your system, there is currently no evidence that this is in any way harmful to baby. But, for this reason, most mums to be are more comfortable with getting highlights rather than a full dye. Its your call, but there is no known medical reason not to.
Flower Girl Posts: 1645
[quote="Dr of love":1pio5gu6]You would be grand either way but a full hair dye does cause some tiny amounts of chemicals to enter your system, there is currently no evidence that this is in any way harmful to baby. But, for this reason, most mums to be are more comfortable with getting highlights rather than a full dye. Its your call, but there is no known medical reason not to.[/quote:1pio5gu6] +1. There's no evidence that dying your hair in pregnancy is at all harmful, I wouldn't think twice about doing it. Hairdressers will never tell you that it's completely safe as they don't want to leave themselves open to liability, so they'll always leave it up to you, but there's no scientific reason why it should cause any harm. Skin is a really effective barrier, very few things penetrate it :)
jewellb Posts: 2389
Baby centre say approx 4 dyes ok during pregnancy, highlights perfectly safe, some say best to wait till 12 wks! You don't think twice about the stuff you put on your face everyday makeup etc, so im not going to stress to much about hair dye I got mine done at 12 weeks and getting it sone next wk again!! X
Jacqueline Hyde Posts: 1145
Sorry, I meant to say that highlights was what is be looking for anyway. I'd love to get them done but it's not the end of the world at all if I can't. I'm back to my natural sh1tty blonde but feel really dull looking compared to usual. I don't think I've ever felt so bad about my appearance as I do at the minute. Glowing my bum.
FutureWife Posts: 298
I would have thought a doctor or midwife would be better to ask than a hairdresser .
Minnie10 Posts: 686
When my sister was pregnant there a couple of months she asked her neighbour who happens to be a midwife and he said all is fine to use a hairdye. I've used two already, I found the first one didnt last as long as it normally does but this one is great, cant remember at what weeks I dyed my hair. It was after 12 weeks for sure. Hope that helps Jacqueline.
lilygilly Posts: 196
I've had highlights done during my pregnancy! We were at our ante natal class saturday with an amazing woman who was a midwife and she told me to make sure I got my hair done before the birth!!! But if you are concerned why not ring your doctor or midwife?! I had to ring to see if I could get a spray tan for a wedding I was morto they didn't mind!
littlesugarloaf Posts: 2000
I work with a midwife, nothing wrong with hair dye in her opinion. The studies that were done on hair dye and rats involved such large amounts of hair dye that it would be the equivilant of you being dumped in a vat of the stuff. If I was in my consipiracy theory mood (which I often am), I would say it's part of a plan to keep us tied to the house with bad hair, caffeine deprived with no face cream!!
ructions Posts: 2689
Consultant obstetrician told me it was fine to dye my hair so that was good enough for me.