harvesting umbilical cord stem cells

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

mjm Posts: 393
Just wondering if anyone has looked into harvesting the stem cells from the umbilical cord, not sure how much it costs or how to go about it, does my own gynae do it or do you need a special doctor to do it? My niece was recently diagnosed with leukaemia and she has no siblings so I thought if I could do this just in case she might need it down the line. thanks for you help mjm
Anne Cordelia Shirley Posts: 4731
We looked into this. There's a genetic illness runs in our family which is treated with stem cells, one of the few for which its a proven treatment. Our consultant was sympathetic but as it is not hospital policy to collect and harvest stem cells it couldn't be done. We fought quite hard for it but as its only private companies external to the hospital who harvest the cells no one was willing to cooperate with the company to collect them. This was in Holles Street but I made some inquiries and it seems to be a policy in most maternity hospitals. From our research, the cost was about 1,500 to 2,000 to collect the cells. The company will send a kit and instructions. I would have loved to be able to do it but unfortunately it didn't work out for us.
Mrsmonoiam Posts: 417
Hi there, I looked in to this about 2 yrs ago, as I was in another country for 5 months where I had umbilical cord stem cell treatment for my condition. I was told by the doctors there that I should definitely harvest my babies umbilical cord stem cells as it is not known whether or not they will inherit my condition or even if my condition will come back. So at the time, around 2yrs ago, it was something like 5000 for 20 yrs storage. That could have changed. But if you look into aviva and vhi healthcare they have some option for assistance. I havent had to research since but next yr I will as we will be TTC and its very important to me to do this! Let us know how you ge on!
ructions Posts: 2689
What hospital are you attending? They'll facilitate it in Mount Carmel.