Has anyone heard

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

AoifeG Posts: 54
that it is bad luck to wear pearls on your wedding day. My friend is getting married this day week and some interfering neighbour told her this. My friend is really superstisous (spelling!!) and is goin off today to find something else to wear. She has already spent nearly 200 on her necklace and us bridesmaids have spent 300 euro on a pearl bracelet for her. We are freaking out!! O:|
gottabfp Posts: 5641
ya i have heard it but im still wearing it. you make your own luck in life, pearls are not goingto effect that.
princess tinkerbelle Posts: 811
I had heard this too but then my friend (who's also wearing pearls!) sid it's only if someone else buys the pearls for you. Having said that, I totally agree that you make your own luck and I would wear pearls if that's what I wanted and matched my dress!
Kermette Posts: 924
This is what wikianswers says: [i:23efgrox]PEARL: Most potent magically at night. Anti-nightmare; Astral protection; Courage; Dissipates anger; Divination; Dreams; Fertility; [b:23efgrox]Happy marriage[/b:23efgrox]; Health; Meditation; Money; Physical strength; Protection from sea creatures; Psychic work; Soothing. PEARL, Black/Blue: Luck. PEARL, Pink: To manifest an easy, comfortable life. PEARL, Yellow: Wealth. PEARL, Red: Intelligence. There are also a number of superstitions about pearls, including one that says a bride will cry tears for each pearl she wears on her wedding day.[/i:23efgrox] It's a bit ambiguous really - I thought it was only bad luck if you broke a string a pearls. On another site I found: [i:23efgrox]People who own pearls receive wealth, sons, popularity, fortune, fame, and freedom from disease and grief. Hindu brides frequently wear pearl nose rings at their weddings in order to ensure happy marriages and to guard against widowhood.[/i:23efgrox] My aunty passed away last year and left me a beautiful gold bangle with a single pearl adorned on it. I will be wearing that regardless of superstitions
mkb Posts: 1744
I dont' think wearing pears is bad luck at all . Some say it is good luck, because the pearls take the place of the bride's real tears (meaning she'll have a tear-free, happy marriage.)but on the other hand, some believe the pearls, still representing tears, are an omen of tears and heartache in the future. If you do a search on good aul google there is lots symbology saying that pearls are representation of love For example "The circle or pearl was considered to represent Love, Knowledge (the combination of equal amounts of Love and Knowledge is a symbol of Wisdom . Some pearls are Truth, and Faith".
Charli09 Posts: 235
I have heard of this superstition, however, as it's my birthstone I'll be wearing them. As OP said ... "You make your own luck in life". Pearls are beautiful and add a touch of elegance, if we listened to every superstion we'd never leave the house on the day of our wedding :o0
AoifeG Posts: 54
Thanks for that guys, I think that you make your own luck too. I was speaking to her this morning and told her I would kick her a** if she changed the pearls! Think the message got through!!
kookiegal Posts: 1150
OMG I hate all these superstitions - don't get married in May, don't have bm's in green, don't wear pearls O:| O:| O:| I am planning on flying in the face of most of them, not intentionally just because I want green bm's and pearls amongst other things and I will make my own luck. Rant over :-8
littlemisshopeful Posts: 6101
My friend mentioned the pearl one to me but I think that it was only as a single pearl.
moobear Posts: 1126
I've heard that before but as OP have said you make your own luck Tell your friend to ignore the comment & go with her first choice. I work in a hotel & I see lots of brides wearing pearls. My sister in law wore them on her wedding day & is happily married after being together over 10 years