Has anyone here done Mt Argus Premarriage course?

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Anonymous Posts: 24542
Doing it tomorrow -was wondering what to expect.
Mrs Neadi* Posts: 1128
sorry i haven't, but would you let me know how it goes as that is our parish church and we'l probably do it there too! thanks :)
It's a Secret Posts: 236
Hi, We did it in March and I have to say I found the content a bit cringeworthy. There were 4 sections. The first topic was about communication- then a case study on which we had to answer questions. Then was the bit on the physical side of things- they put up pictures of male/ female reproductive systems! The bit on the religious/ legal part of marriage was actually most useful. Then in came a couple who relayed their life story and what marriage meant to them- dreadful. From what I have heard the content varies- based on who is available to speak on the day. I know some people enjoy and learn from various courses. I didn't. ps. Lunch is provided if you like watery soup! Hope the content is a bit better than March!
tiedtheknot Posts: 151
I did it and posted about it in one of my brides diary entries (which was edited as I made comment about the poor food I believe). The day itself wasn't bad and as premarriage courses go, was over quickly and covered all the basics (communication, reproduction, committment) and was interesting enough. Can I suggest that you do bring your own sandwiches and food? The quality isn't the best and get out of the room quickly as there isn't any where to sit down properly and eat it, at least there wasn't when we did ours.
could you leave for the lunch and go back? i only live down the road. that would be so handy!
[quote="charlies angel":3mimkfty]I did it and posted about it in one of my brides diary entries (which was edited as I made comment about the poor food I believe). The day itself wasn't bad and as premarriage courses go, was over quickly and covered all the basics (communication, reproduction, committment) and was interesting enough. Can I suggest that you do bring your own sandwiches and food? The quality isn't the best and get out of the room quickly as there isn't any where to sit down properly and eat it, at least there wasn't when we did ours.[/quote:3mimkfty] How long is lunch? We're only a short distance down the road so I'd nearly prefer to go home or head up to Rathgar for a quick sandwich.
[quote="neadi":2h74p6y8]could you leave for the lunch and go back? i only live down the road. that would be so handy![/quote:2h74p6y8] Neadi, the courses aren't held in Mount Argus anymore. They're in Terenure, Rathgar and Kimmage Manor.
tiedtheknot Posts: 151
The course we attended was in Marianella which is close by the driving test centre. If you're close enough to that location, you could go home. The day we did our course we ended up having 40-45 minutes for lunch. It depends really on how quickly you get through the material I think. Also, when I suggested that you get out of the room quickly, I was refering to the room where the course is given and not the area where the food is served. I was suggesting this so that you have first dibs on the food that is offered.
:oops: well, still only a 5 min walk from Kimmage Manor so handy enough! although if i can get away with not doing the course even better!
Cheers CA and Mrs Nivvles!