Have church singer - need music!

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

early days Posts: 691
I have a cousin with a fab singing voice who I have asked to sing at our wedding, however we dont know anyone who can accompany her. Has anyone else been in the same boat and if so, what did you do? I dont know how many church musicians will play only and let her sing. And I dont want to offend any musicians who usually do both by saying that I dont want them to sing! Any ideas would be much appreciated :thnk P.S I'm in Galway
she Posts: 3298
[quote="sweeties":3e6gbbbu]I have a cousin with a fab singing voice who I have asked to sing at our wedding, however we dont know anyone who can accompany her. Has anyone else been in the same boat and if so, what did you do? I dont know how many church musicians will play only and let her sing. And I dont want to offend any musicians who usually do both by saying that I dont want them to sing! Any ideas would be much appreciated :thnk P.S I'm in Galway[/quote:3e6gbbbu] Normally you can just hire an organist on their own. Has your cousin sang at a wedding before? If in a church, does she know the "holy" music. Just it's not the easist thing in the world to do and I don't think you'd find it easy to get an organist to play with someone who doesn't know what Their doing. Cause if she doesn't sing on que, it's them that look bad as well. Sorry not meaning to offend anyone............. Google organists for Galway, there's quite a few :wv or put your query in the suppliers section, you might get a reply......
looey Posts: 624
You could try Ray O Donnell he is the organist in the Cathedral his humber is 0872241365, or ring Tuam Cathedral and ask for the number of Cathrine Mulhern as she plays there. Is your cousin knows church music you should be fine with either of these people.
Thanks girls, will look into an organist so. It's ok ,my cousin has done a couple of weddings (and a funeral!) so should be up to it. Have another cousin who thinks she's the singer in the family but I dont really like her style. Very screechy. So have to deal with her taking offence at me asking the other one.....
she Posts: 3298
[quote="sweeties":323o3tcm]Thanks girls, will look into an organist so. It's ok ,my cousin has done a couple of weddings (and a funeral!) so should be up to it. Have another cousin who thinks she's the singer in the family but I dont really like her style. Very screechy. So have to deal with her taking offence at me asking the other one.....[/quote:323o3tcm] That's good that she done some weddings before. God help you telling the other cousin though :o0 :o0
Yeah she'll probably screech a bit more!
Midnight Swing Posts: 67
Hi sweetie, If you're still looking for musicians, PM me and I'll put you in touch with some great classical players. Keith
hick Posts: 858
wouldn't worry about it. Most musicians shouldn't have an issue with it at all. We're going with the corrib quartet from galway, when we were asking them about a singer to go with them, they said they were happy to go with any singer that could keep time :o0 If you can fit a quartet in the budget it's very nice and these guys seem to be good. Bets of luck! :wv