Have you ever changed your voice to fit in?

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Weird Cat Lady Posts: 3501
*A la Ian Paisley* NIVIR!
Plus1makes4 Posts: 721
I dont think I have! Although I do usually throw in a curse word here and there, but when Im with a certain aunt I mind my P's and Q's :custum59 My DH is such a Dub, I think he speaks without too much of an accent, you'd know he was from North Dublin but when he gets together with his brothers, its multipled by 100. Funny to hear/see :yelrotflmaosmilie:
Jojo84 Posts: 121
I used to have a really thick Dublin accent when I was in school (I am originally from Tallaght), that's flattened out a good bit over time. Still enough there for my Limerick OH to crack jokes about it though! What's really funny is that as a result of the time he's spent around me, he has now added "Ah jaysus" to his vocabulary :o0
sydneyfox Posts: 177
At times I have had to change a wee bit just so I'm understood at work. I'm in Sydney and speak to people all over Asia so need to adjust a little but I;m in serious trouble when someone asks me to spell a word with the letter R :duh:
Sinead Nic Gabhann Ceremony Singer Posts: 1274
It is very common for people to mimic the accent of the people they are in the company of. There are a few reasons for this. 1) to make the other people feel more comfortable 2)so you will be understood by the other people 3) for you to be liked by the other people Aren't they all lovely reasons to sound a bit different :) I've known some people to end up sounding like a Mafia person speaking English over in Italy in order to be understood, or friends on the phone to the Chinese Restaurant (Especially after a few drinks lol) accidentally mimicking the person taking the order. SineadTheSinger
Weird Cat Lady Posts: 3501
Hehe. I've a few musical mates who would be greedy magpies when it comes to pilfering accents. Then there was a former sister-in-law who did a good D4 accent despite being raised 200 miles away. I used to work with a Welsh bloke whose twin spoke with a thick native accent whilst he sported an estuary one. He unashamedly owned up to shedding in to get on and it started to come naturally.
whereland Posts: 472
I'm from the country and if I had a euro for every time i've been told "wow you have no accent"- I think people expect me to talk like the healy-reas!! I've never had a country accent so never changed it. Think a lot of us aren't aware of ouor accents and how we say things until it's pointed out to us
Carriedaway Posts: 1863
[quote="sydneyfox":32d46301]but I;m in serious trouble when someone asks me to spell a word with the letter R :duh:[/quote:32d46301] :o0 i remember that when I lived in Sydney, It was a nightmare, I first worked in a travel agent and then a Recruiment agency so I often had to spell the names etc, no one knew what i was saying until I said aarrgghh like a pirate I have Australian in laws and I work with an Australian guy I always find myself going alright mate how'ya goin
AuroraB Posts: 89
I've been accused of changing it - and have had people get quite annoyed with me cause I won't "admit" it - but it's purely because like whereland I have a neutral accent and because I'm from the country, people expect me to sound like I have a welly shoved into my mouth at all times. It's kind of a reverse snobbery I think. That said, I have found that in certain company I am inclined to soften my tone in an attempt sound more refined and ladylike - I do this with one girl in particular, and always sit up straighter in her company as well!
craftyPB Posts: 2625
Nothing I ever do deliberately, but I do pick up accents very quickly!