Have you made a Will?

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Genegirl Posts: 2110
Sorry for being so morbid but i just read an article that most adults have not made a will. This is something i have thought about since we took out a mortgage. Before we did i was lead to believe that you had to make a will but just though it was overlooked. So when do you think we should make a will as we all know you never know what is round the corner? Like for example if GOD FORBID you died tomorrow and you had no next of kin does your assets, savings just go to the state? Once again sorry for the dark topic but it really is one of the things you push do the back of your head.
GreenerPastures Posts: 7284
I have Mortgage Protection in place but that was assigned to the building society when I took out my mortgage. So the mortgage would be paid off if I popped my clogs. My DH has life assurance in place but I am the policy owner so any proceeds are automatically paid to me. The house is in my name as I bought it myself so we should put something in writing about that. Apart from that we don't have very many assets :-8 . Once we have children and any assets to leave them we'll make a Will and make sure they are provided for.
cupcakebabe Posts: 2232
I have nothing to will to anyone except a pile of debt!! :o0 On a serious note i never thought about it as i always thought only grown-ups need a will ................... time i had a word withmyself i think!
paperclips Posts: 3146
My H2b has mortgage protection and the house is willed to me. I have life cover and that is willed to my H2b. I'm worth a lot more than the value of the house! Other than that nothing else in place but will get that all sorted when we marry and think about a family etc
Genegirl Posts: 2110
[quote="MrsDodders":127dik0y]I have Mortgage Protection in place but that was assigned to the building society when I took out my mortgage. So the mortgage would be paid off if I popped my clogs. My DH has life assurance in place but I am the policy owner so any proceeds are automatically paid to me. The house is in my name as I bought it myself so we should put something in writing about that. Apart from that we don't have very many assets :-8 . Once we have children and any assets to leave them we'll make a Will and make sure they are provided for.[/quote:127dik0y] We are more or less the same - will defintely get it sorted when (hopefully) we have kids.
allie12 Posts: 458
I think if you don't make a will, then it goes to probate. In the case of either of us popping the clogs the mortgage on our apt is paid off, but because we are not married yet then OH is not considered next of kin. We really need to do this, have discussed it as we have other assets which would be in limbo. :duh: You do not need to actually go to a solicitor to make a will, once you have the draft and the legalities correct, appoint an executor and have it witnessed, you can lodge it with your solicitor.
SaJa Posts: 4282
We made joint Wills when we built our house and then updated them when DS was born. Will update them again next year when new LO arrives.
SaJa Posts: 4282
[quote="allie12":rqvk0m0w]I think if you don't make a will, then it goes to probate.[/quote:rqvk0m0w] It will go to probate whether you have made a Will or not
IvytheTerrible Posts: 950
When we bought our house (not married), the solicitor who was doing the contracts was very insistent we did one. He said he sees it all the time when somebody dies unexpectedly in a car crash or something and it causes hassle for those left behind. AFAICR if anything had happened to either of us, the mortgage protection would kick in and because the house is in joint names, the house would revert to the other but not any savings, they would be shared with next of kin. When we got married, all I had to do was bring the marriage cert to the solicitor and they put it on file with the wills, so really the original wills still stand as we have no kids. We were told to come back and make other provisions if we ever had kids. I think it's very important to do it but myself and a group of our friends spoke about the subject one night and we were the only ones out of the group that had made a will.
LuckyYear2013 Posts: 3972
I haven't yet, as it's only me and DH. We both have life policies, and mortgage protection, so if God forbid anything happened to either of us, we'd be ok financially. I think if (please God) we have kids that I would then look at getting a will drawn up