hayfever

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

ginger nut Posts: 5989
my hayfever has gone mad the last few days - itchy eyes, runny nose and sneezing. Due to see doc next week so will ask if i can take anything but in the meantime does anyone know of any remedies that are safe in pregnancy?
soontohave3 Posts: 160
Hi Gingernut, I suffer really bad with hayfever and allergies in general. My consultant told me i could safely take my flixonase spray and zirtek tablets without any problems. I'm 28 weeks preg. now and have been taking both since i was 12 weeks. I know my sister in law also took telfast antihistamines throughout pregnancy without any problems. Do ask you doctors advice though as they all differ in what they say when it comes to meds. Hope you get some relief soon x
ginger nut Posts: 5989
thanks - i'll check with gp next week. Hopefully there's something i can take to give some relief.
*bubblez* Posts: 1599
try the spray and eye drops my doc said as long as i'm not taking tabs I'll be fine. Also vicks are doing a hayfever plug in thing you plug it in overnight and the vapours help ur hayfever the next day, a girl on here a few weeks ago suggested herbal remedies when I asked the same Q.
Mrs. Taz Posts: 1216
Hi gingernut, it's dreadful. I am suffering badly as well. I asked my consultant and she said that i can't take anything and strongly advised not to take herbal remedies. At the moment i have vicks on a tissue at night time beside my pillow as i get congested during the night and find this helps, i am going to the chemist to see if i can get some eye drops as they are really itchy and irritated. I am also suffering from headaches, any of you feel the same?? (maybe its the congestion causing them). Pollen count is going to be high today as well.
round two Posts: 1018
Hi Girls, Mrs Taz, you have just descirbed how I am feeling. I have a completely blocked nose that wakes me at night. Swollen itchy eyes and I am very wheezy and short of breath. Also have headaches and really just feel miserable. I asked the chemist about taking something and they would not let me have anything. I have a docs appointment tomorrow and I intend to get something as I am just feeling yeuck.....
Mrs. Taz Posts: 1216
Hi Hope07, Come back and let us know how you got on with the docs. Try a small bit of vicks on your pillow or a tissue tonight, i found i felt that bit better this morning. The consultant told me i could only use vicks. Hope we all get some relief soon :wv
pattie Posts: 2379
Mrs Taz I get the same, terrible headaches and swollen sinuses. The GP wouldn't permit anything and the consultant said I could have the odd piriton or clarityn but I have always found that I needed these daily for them to have any effect. I'm also not happy to take herbal or homeopathic stuff while pg (but I have heard other pg women say they found homeopathic stuff worked). I've also seen local honey from the farmer's market recommended, but haven't tried this one. I normally get hayfever from May to October but it started in April this year so I bought this Medinose device on ebay. I'd heard about it before but was sceptical. It uses phototherapy, 2 probes that you put in your nostrils 3 times a day for 4 mins and they emit a red light that works as a local anti-histamine. I find it fantastic, much better than the anti-histamines I used take. I never get headaches or feel stuffed up now and my eyes are much better and I will continue using it when not pg instead of clarityn. There's also a non-drug non-herbal powder called Nasaleze, you puff it into each nostrils and it blocks pollen, my GP okayed it. It helps a small bit. A dab of vaseline in each nostril helps too.
chilledout Posts: 834
I get really bad hayfever. Last year when I was pregnant the GP told me I could use Pirotin or Zirtec if I really had to use something. They've not been tested on pregnant women but there has never been any problems associated with them. i used Zirtec and had no problems. i wouldn't have been able to leave the house had I not taken it. This year someone recommended this yoke to me: Its a device you stick up your nose and it prevents the release of histamine. There's no drugs involved so its perfectly safe for pregnancy. I did a google search and it gets really good reviews. I've ordered one off Ebay for €99 (inc P&P) but you can get them in Arnotts for €120. I spend that in a few weeks on antihistamines and sprays so I'm going to give it a try.
Lady Di Posts: 2487
Is running eyes a sign of hay fever cos mine never stop and are driving me mad. I don't have any other symptoms though?