Head wrecked - Public v's private

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

MrsFitz Posts: 162
Was at my first gp visit today to confirm everything (6 weeks pregnant today) and asked the doc for his opinion on public v's private - - my head is wrecked. He recommended public as he said service is the same I always said i'd go private when it was my time People are advising me especially on my first to go private for peace of mind Any advice would be greatly welcome - Im in Cork
snowbear Posts: 2107
This is a tough decision and if you do a search you'll find a million viewpoints on it. Just to give you my own perspective... I went private and spent most of the pregnancy regretting it as I didn't feel the cons was listening to me and that I had wasted my money. But towards the end I developed complications and ended up with a difficult birth/section and felt private was worth it, both for his individual attention (we communicated very well at the end) and for the private room - I was in hospital for ages. HOWEVER it's an awful lot of money and there are plenty of people who sail through the public system just fine, as your doctor said the care is essentially the same only with fewer scans, different people every time you visit etc. So I think if you are reasonably healthy and happy with a normal pregnancy you would be just fine in the public system. If you are particuarly nervous or have particular issues then you MIGHT be better off with your own consultant. I don't know much about Cork but if there is any chance of a Domino/Midwife led style system there it's well worth investigatingn too... you can often get lovely individual care there for no money at all. Best of luck!
the winner Posts: 4148
Well Private is ridiculously expensive. DO you have VHI or similar ? Semi private is the way to go IMO simply because you see the same consultant every visit. when your public you see someone different all the time so they never really get to know you? I don't think I would like a private room? no one really knows how they are going to feel after having a baby and I know it was some support to me to see other women experiencing all these new feelings etc for the 1st time. :lvs
Idina Posts: 1289
My sister went public for all of hers and had no issues at all. I went private for my DS and I'm private again. I like the fact hat you see same consulatant all time and I was glad i had private room (was in for 5 days). Also i had complication towards end of last preg and beginging of this one so I'm glad I'm private. It's a very personal thing though so (and I'm not being smart :-8 ) it's really only a decision you and your OH can make
eviebelle Posts: 66
Hi Just thought I'd give you my take on this; I went private with my 1st pregnancy; Pros were; Consultant was lovely Cons; Cost €2500 Waited up to 2hrs to see him at each visit He didn't have a scanning machine so only had 1 scan in hospital Didn't arrive at the hospital until the final 30min of delivery Was no private rooms available 1 st night in hospital I am now pregnant again and decided to go public, my gp said standard of care is the same and a friend works in labour ward and said there is no difference - if you need a doc they will get one for you regardless of public or private paying patients. I have just received my first appointement which is with the consultant I had booked with my 1st pregnancy so I can't believe my luck! In my opinion the midwives do all the work form you arrive in hospital until babay is born. It's public all the way for me!
Giant Underpants Posts: 953
[quote="Miranda H":22sulijg] HOWEVER it's an awful lot of money and there are plenty of people who sail through the public system just fine, as your doctor said the care is essentially the same only with fewer scans, different people every time you visit etc. [b:22sulijg]So I think if you are reasonably healthy and happy with a normal pregnancy you would be just fine in the public system. If you are particuarly nervous or have particular issues then you MIGHT be better off with your own consultant. [/b:22sulijg][/quote:22sulijg] This. I have plenty of friends who went public and had nothing but good things to say about it. I myself am going private coz I have an underlying medical condition that could affect the baby and its essential for me to see just one consultant who will know everything about me. Im also terrefied of doctors, so dealing with one is bad enough as far as Im concerned without seeing a new one at each visit! Also, unlike Eviebelle Ive never waited more than a few minutes for my visits and Ive been scanned at every single one (Im going to the Rotunda) so it might be worth checking out the standard of private care at your [b:22sulijg][i:22sulijg]particular hospital[/i:22sulijg][/b:22sulijg] as well as just generally versus public, coz clearly there is a big difference in standards. And mine is costing €4500 not €2500 so it obviously varies a lot by price! So far Ive nothing but good things to report about private care, but it is a lot of money to pay if you have no complications/worries.
robsmum Posts: 21
Hi. I went public for both my babies in CUMH. I went to the CUMH clinics for my first pregnancy, and was waiting for about 2 hours for each antenatal visit. I attended the outreach clinic in St. Mary's Orthopaedic Hospital for my second pregnancy, and was in and out in a half hour for every visit. I met the same midwife and consultant at each visit, and was looked after very well. They really listened to my concerns and gave me plenty of time and attention at each visit. The clinics were held on a Tuesday evening from about 6 onwards and there is free parking up there. It was much handier for me to attend the outreach clinic, especially with a toddler at home. I was also scanned at every visit. I got a semi-private room for each stay. I booked a private scan at about 7/8 weeks and paid 120 euro, everything else was free. HTH.
Happy Mammie Posts: 1507
HI i am going private. this is my 3rd pregnancy and i went private on my 2 Ds's. We dont have the option of doing semi private in the cumh. if you go public you could do a thing called scope. you can only do this on your 1st pregnancy. which means you will get a lot more scans than if you were going public on your second. now the thing is if you go public at the moment your dh wont be left in for the scans. (this might change) a friend of my sisters was waiting out in the cumh for 3 hours on tuesday. The reason i am going private is i like the reassurance of the scans. i will get scanned at each visit. so i will get about 5 / 6 scans. i am paying €3000 and will be attending Dr Matt Hewwit. I also like the private room. Now my Gyne dident make it to the birth of my last Ds but i dident mind as the midwifes were fantastic. i think myself it is worth the money just for care through out the pregnancy. Good luck with your decision. :wv And congratulations on your pregnancy.
Mammyof2Princesses Posts: 3745
[quote="The Winner":1xuyrajo] Semi private is the way to go IMO simply because you see the same consultant every visit. when your public you see someone different all the time so they never really get to know you? :lvs[/quote:1xuyrajo] Depends on what hospital you are in, you are more than likely to see the consultants "team" rather than the consultant themselves. Also, the waiting times for SP are similiar for those of public, I dont think semi-p is an option in Cork anyway. I went private on DD and would hope to go private on the next one (please God). Yes its expensive but I loved the relationship you build up with your cons, the no hanging around for hours waiting to meet them for apps, getting scanned at every visit (I didnt do combined care so saw him loads), 4k is expensive but you could decide to spend that on a nursery or whatever, plus 20% of it can be claimed back on the MED1!! Congrats and best of luck with it all!! :o)ll :o)ll
Idina Posts: 1289
Just to say I saw same consultant every time. Usually don't have to wait to long (unless he's been called to an emergency and TBH honest I don't mind casue that could be me) Get scanned on every visit Have gotten appointments for extra visits i requested (and got scanned) Got a private room last time (hope to this time too!) Consusltant saw me while being induced (was induced twice then sectioned) and did my section. I know in Dublin it's different-there doesn't seem to be as big a difference between public and private (please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong)