Head wrecked re: job, help me decide..

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

walkingwollie Posts: 3344
They are probably sick of me posting about this on M and K so I thought I would pop over here for some views. I am on mat leave at the moment from my job - it's a mix of fixed term contract and permanent sessions. I was hoping to go back part-time as I am doing an MSc which is quite hardcore (and obviously would value flexibility with my wee man). However, a month or two ago, some of the fixed term contract sessions came under threat. Basically, I am employed by Health but Education pay for my sessions in schools (UK). Education are under more pressure to provide a larger service for more students but with the same budget etc etc. So what happened, effectively, was that the 20 sessions our team provides to Education stayed the same, but instead of providing services to four schools in that time, we have to provide the same service/outcomes to seven schools, with more potentially coming on board next year. There was a disagreement about how this could be managed in such a way that we could provide a decent service and the talks nearly broke down. I was worried about losing this part of my job so while I was waiting to find out, I applied for another job in a different area which was similar, but permanent. I got it. So, you would think I would be jumping at the chance to take it, right? Nope. They offered me full time only :o( I don't think I could manage my MSc and a full time job so I turned them down. They came back to me offering me 4 days a week with shorter hours... And yet I am still not jumping at it. Why? - the commute is horrendous. I have to travel from one side of a major UK city to the other, then on a motorway for 20 miles, then through another UK city. The AA routeplanner says its an hour but when I asked people who do this commute, an hour and a half to two hours is more likely. Each way. - I don't have a driving license! Due to do my driving test on Monday but first one so of course, no guarantees. Journey is 1hr 42 mins each way on public transport, though could potentially shorten it if I used a taxi on the other side.. might be hard for childcare though.. - I'd have to give up my fantastic childcare for my baby where my current job is and go with something near where I live. The childcare near my current job is outstanding and only costs £30 a day whereas childcare where I live is a bit rubbish to my mind and costs £47 a day. The childcare near my house is not flexible at all - you can only have your child there on the days you pay for, whereas in the childcare near my current job if I needed him to be in for a whole week from time to time to work on my MSc that's no problem at all.. - it would make the MSc a LOT harder to do.. 4 days with shorter days sounds great if it weren't for the commute, but I can't exactly do my research project on the motorway so effectively it would be a 7 - 5/6 day with one day off with a baby to look after all day.. I'm not sure where the MSc fits with that? - it's a 'side step' in terms of my career vs a step up, so no real benefit, and potentially a step backward as it might impact upon my MSc BUT...... 4 days is a lot more money and if I take a risk and stick with my current job, I might just lose the bulk of my job next August (would be left with one day's work!!!)... with no guarantee of job opportunities in my field. Though I could set up privately and colleagues who have done this earn a steady income. I also have a business idea I could run with if pushed to the wall.. I feel torn.. my family and colleagues have all been telling me to go for my current job but I wonder if everyone is just being overly optimistic about the chances of redundancy. I want the money and the permanency but I also have been given a fantastic opportunity with the MSc to work with a researcher who is doing cutting-edge research in my field and I want to give that a good shot as it might lead to future research opportunities, which I would love... I can't see how I would manage this on top of the new job. I think it's clear my heart is with my current job (though I hate my manager, I have to say).. but am I being a total idiot to give up job security? Need to tell new job people by end of working day.
ScarlettoHara Posts: 8442
Personally I wouldnt take it. How will you cope money wise if you do end up almost redundant? Will you and DH manage? I wouldnt put myself under all the pressure of the commute/ extra hours on a maybe that you might loose your job in the future. I also wouldnt move the child to a childcare provider that I was only kinda happy with. I know you are thinking of the future and job security for your family. I just think its an awful lot of sacrifice for a "maybe"
ReginaFalange Posts: 10290
Mrs Bean- from what you have said in your post I would stick with your current job. If the worse case scenario happens and you are made redundant then it seems that you are obvioulsy very employable so hopefully it would not take too long find another job.
Spring07 Posts: 130
I would be leaning towards your current job. I know you said the new job was permanent but I really believe there is no such thing!
ott Posts: 3920
Defo stay where you are. I wouldn't even consider such a horrendous commute for a job that, as you said, is a side step and inhibits your studying.
[quote="Spring07":3d438wxe]I would be leaning towards your current job. I know you said the new job was permanent but I really believe there is no such thing![/quote:3d438wxe] Very good point actually
walkingwollie Posts: 3344
Well, decision made.. thanks for all your input, I decided to stay put because as you said Scarlett, it's only a "maybe" that I'll lose my job.. and the hardships with the commute etc are definite. Relieved it's over now!
Good woman your self. Glad you came to a decision your happy with
hairdye Posts: 1129
[quote="mrsbean":3gp06rde] - the commute is horrendous. I have to travel from one side of a major UK city to the other, then on a motorway for 20 miles, then through another UK city. The AA routeplanner says its an hour but when I asked people who do this commute, an hour and a half to two hours is more likely. Each way. [/quote:3gp06rde] If I were in your shoes the above would be enough of a reason to turn down the job and stay in your current job. You are right, that commute would be horrendous. Imagine what it would be like in the Winter? Also, driving for that long each way would mean less time with your family. Best of luck with your decision O:o)
hairdye Posts: 1129
Oops, sorry just noticed that you already made up your mind before I sent that previous post. Well done on deciding, I think you made the right decision! Good luck!