Health Insurance policies

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

vinoqueeno Posts: 3511
Hi, I'm hoping ye can help. My health insurance is up for renewal this week and my head is melted from going through the various policies. Obviously with the baby on the way, we want a policy that has good maternity benefits but doesn't cost a fortune (if that exists!!). I'm currently with Aviva and find them grand but open to switching too. So, if you don't mind me asking, what policies do you have & do you find them adequate?
MrsPositive Posts: 1548
Hi Vinoqueen, its an absolute minefield I know! I am with VHI and changed to their corporate plan this year, I think it was still just slightly over 1000 euro or maybe just under but had good maternity cover. I think if you change from one insurer to another that you wont get the benefits if you're already pregnant, now maybe im 100% wrong, actually that could be for a new illness or something, but best bet is to ring around. Mine is taken weekly from my wages so I dont miss it as such but its a bit outlay I know. Still its great to have it. x
Sassy1 Posts: 446
Yeah I am with VHI as well and like that is a Company Plan Plus and the benefits seem good - why not ring around and see what is on offer. I know there is a waiting period before you can make a claim so it might be worth mentioning it to them that you are pregnant. Best of luck
Thanks girls, I think I was just so frazzled yesterday that I couldn't do anymore!
whoop whoop Posts: 1616
If there's no break in cover then there is no waiting period. It's taken that you served your waiting period with your previous insurer. However, if you go for a higher level of cover, then there is a waiting period for that.
Oh ok, that's good to know. Thanks Whoop Whoop
Princess Mom Posts: 304
One thing aviva have over the rest is a little benefit called home help they will send a cleaners to your house two people for 4 hours after the birth or as it is working for me 1 person for four hours on two days. Mine is coming today super excited :o)ll ( not sure they will be when they see the task ahead :-8 ) Worth considering.....
whoop whoop Posts: 1616
[quote="Princess Mom":2ee71e8f]One thing aviva have over the rest is a little benefit called home help they will send a cleaners to your house two people for 4 hours after the birth or as it is working for me 1 person for four hours on two days. Mine is coming today super excited :o)ll ( not sure they will be when they see the task ahead :-8 ) Worth considering.....[/quote:2ee71e8f] Very tempting! Particularly if the health insurance doesn't cost more But it's important not to be swayed by an 'add on' like the above which would only cost between 80 and 120 as a one-off payment to organise yourself, rather than paying an increased premium year on year.