Health Insurance tip...

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

neytiri Posts: 844
My health insurance is up for renewal in April and I noticed that the premium skyrocketed to €200 per month. So I did a bit of research and changed my plan to a plan where i can get more money back but the biggest saving was when i asked for the [size=150:wfuuiqr8][b:wfuuiqr8]'corporate plan cost' [/b:wfuuiqr8][/size:wfuuiqr8] :ooh :ooh :ooh :ooh I have made a saving of €450 a year on my insurance which brings my DD down to €170 a month and I can also claim 50% back on all out-patient expenses with no excess WOOHOO!!!! :o)ll Im absolutely delighted! Everyone is entitled to the corporate rate so just ask for it!!!!!
Pricetag Posts: 1306
It's not a corporate rate!! It's a corporate plan. Everyone is entitled to any plan they wish. But there aren't different rates. There are different plans.
AliceCullen Posts: 1408
Heard Conor Pope on today fm talking about this a few months back and recommending that everyone ring up and change as it's the same cover just a lower cost. Well done on your savings :wv
[quote="lovinit":2knvqhww]..But there aren't different rates. There are different plans.[/quote:2knvqhww] I beg to differ actually! Its the exact same plan except cheaper - go figure!!! As far as i can make out most plans have a corporate equivalent just at a different lower price. http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/pri ... 85701.html
[quote="neytiri":23qvk0a3][quote="lovinit":23qvk0a3]..But there aren't different rates. There are different plans.[/quote:23qvk0a3] I beg to differ actually! Its the exact same plan except cheaper - go figure!!! As far as i can make out most plans have a corporate equivalent just at a different lower price. http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/pri ... 85701.html[/quote:23qvk0a3] www.hia.ie you can compare all plans here. They are different plans. They might have a very very similar level of cover but they are definitely not the same plans. No plan offers 2 different rates. There are corporate plans and there and individual/family plans.
Im not getting drawn into pedantics. It is what it is....a potential cost saving measure that some wollies might like to explore. No harm having a conversation with your health insurer to discuss the possibilities and getting the best deal to suit your needs and your pocket.
[quote="neytiri":2kufsol9]Im not getting drawn into pedantics. It is what it is....a potential cost saving measure that some wollies might like to explore. No harm having a conversation with your health insurer to discuss the possibilities and getting the best deal to suit your needs and your pocket.[/quote:2kufsol9] I completely agree with you! I'm always telling people to request a comparative schedule for corporate plans. I just wanted to point out it's not a corporate rate you need to request though, you need to see the differences in the plans. www.hia.ie is a great independant website to check out all the benefits on every single plan available.
bridalnowmam Posts: 2202
Well done on your savings :o)ll :o)ll :o)ll :o)ll
streaks Posts: 3592
Nice one you go girl O-O :o)ll
whoop whoop Posts: 1616
This may be a bit off topic, but is it true that if you get health insurance, there is a waiting period of 6-12 months before it comes into effect? The same if you switch providers or upgrade? I've never had health insurance before, but figured it would be useful to have if we get pregnant. So if I were to sign up now, and got pregnant in a few months, the insurance wouldn't cover it? I know I should probably just phone and find out myself, but thought I'd see if this is common knowledge...