Heart rate monitor - fat burning zone

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Jeidi Posts: 3128
Hi all, Does anyone know how to work out what range my heart rate should be in to be in the fat burning zone? I rooted out my old heart rate monitor and can barely remember how to use it, let alone what heart rate I should be aiming at. Thanks.
gone elsewhere Posts: 1780
Hi Jeidi, You should be aiming for more than fat-burning zone. Have a read of this.
KaldiBean Posts: 60
You should aim for the fat burn zone, especially if you are a beginner!! there are a few websites which explain how to find yours, would take me too long to explain here!
gone elsewhere Posts: 1780
[quote="KaldiBean":1lyohlxu]You should aim for the fat burn zone[/quote:1lyohlxu] Why?
Jeidi Posts: 3128
[quote="Lois":lc6xfmxu]Hi Jeidi, You should be aiming for more than fat-burning zone. Have a read of this. [/quote:lc6xfmxu] Thanks for that, explained everything nicely. My MHR worked out at 190. I went for a jog yesterday and my heart rate got to 174, is this too high do you think? I'm not mega unfit, and just have 10lbs max to lose. But I dont want to get a heart attack!
sharmon Posts: 437
174 would be more in the anaerobic range, it's ok for short bursts, but if you want to burn fat, I would be aiming more for 140-150 & keeping it there constantly. If you wear your monitor all the time you will see your heart rate start to drop little by little as you start to get fitter (it will also go back to normal quicker when you stop exercising), thus if you try to keep it at constant of about 140-150, you will always be in a fat burning zone even as you get fitter but you will see it will be harder & harder to get it to 150 & maintain it there as you get fitter. I wear a HR monitor in the pool & have to really push it to maintain a 140HR, but have lost almost 7lbs since I started swimming 2 1/2 mts ago, so it's definately working for me (I'm also trying to eat more protein & cut out stodgy carbs). Good luck with your fitnness regime
hunnymonster Posts: 725
HRM's are not very accurate in a pool. It's difficult to get a good connection and usually read far too low. On the plus side, there is no absolute right answer to this one. <60% is not much use from a fitness pov but will of course use up some calories (60-70%) is great for long slow workouts and will burn the highest percentage of fat (though not the highest number of calories - an important distinction the "fat burning zone" people consistently miss), (70-80%) - aerobic zone, this is the best place to be for cardiovascular fitness and also helps build strength. Most people fint this fairly difficult to maintain for long but you should be able to run 5-10 km if you're reasonably fit. (80-90%) anaerobic zone, this will feel properly tough and you won't be able to stay long in this zone. Stick with it though, it burns the most calories, it increases lactate threshold (which allows you to work harder then next time etc) >90% - no need to recreational athletes to go into VO2 max area often. The real problem in heart rate training is in determining your maximum HR and correct zones. Almost noone satisfies the 220 (or 226 for women) - age formula and even for those who do, there is a lot of debate if you should use % max HR or %HR reserve (i.e. incorporating your max HR and your resting HR which will lower as you get fitter). I am quite serious about my training so I see a sports physiologist at least once a year to get my various physiological characteristics measured but that's not really practical for most people. If people want to know more about HR training for their own situation, feel free to pm me including the sport you want to train for, age, current training routine and fitness goals and I can reply with specifics rather than trying to make something very scientific into a one-size-fits-all
happyfiance Posts: 317
Starnge thing is everytime i'm doing the cross trainer my heart rate is 170-175 and i'm not even that much out of breath!! :eek Anyone know what could be going on there?
hunnymonster Posts: 725
could be 1. your fitness level 2. the machine measuring - those hand grip things on gym apparaatus are almost useless 3. that you're working harder than you think, the cross trainer uses a lot of muscles but without a lot of impact so it can feel easier than it actually is (more so if you're overweight I believe) I'm sure there are other possibilities but they are the ones that come to me straight away.
Babybumps Posts: 97
sorry to hijack the post but can any of you recommend a good heart moniter?? I've been thinking of getting one for when I'm in the gym as I think I'm fit enough but I want to burn fat. Cheers :thnk