Heating

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Lorna Doone Posts: 737
Turned the rads on today! Is anyone else living in fear of the energy price hikes? Feel sad for old folk or families who just can't afford the extra bills.
LadyLizzie Posts: 1724
I hear you Lorna Doone! We have been lighting a fire each night and staying in that sitting room, then dashing to bed where the electric blanket is on, to avoid switching on the oil heating as much as possible. And to think it's only November *brr* Also I have been known to wear a dressing gown over my clothes around the house to keep warm without putting on the heating, hey it really works! I am a cold creature, DH doesn't feel it half so much.
Fruice Posts: 677
We've had our heat on for a few hours each evening for the last week, with a fire lit at 4pm the last two days, too cold to handle it any more. But then our bedroom never heats up so it's always horrible going to bed :( Today I have 4 tops and two pairs of socks on, hubby is fine, doesn't feel the cold at all, unless it's about -5.
morningsun Posts: 784
I've had the heating on for weeks (at least since October) and lighting fires every day. We have the heating on for about 3/4 hours these evenings. I'm frozen without it. Ekectric blanket left on overnight too,
RainbowNinja Posts: 4437
Have had the heat on for weeks. Unfortunately we don't have an open fire. Usually we only have the heat on for an hour in the morning and an hour or two in the evening, but this year have a baby in the house and I'm off work til march, so not looking forward to the bills at all!
Little Miss Hopeful Posts: 1193
Thank god we have turf as our main source of heat- our house is so warm and cosy and we dont need to watch what we use.Fuel poverty is something I think about a lot , feel so sorry for people cold and uncomfortable in their own homes especially kids.
Weird Cat Lady Posts: 3501
That's quite impressive, Lorna. My Da would be very proud of you - a man famous for economising on basic needs.
I'll have it on for an hour in the morning & an hour in the evening. I'm a great one for the dressing gown, blankets & hot water bottle under my jumper! I'm not even a cold person, but I do believe in dressing properly. I hate seeing blue feet out in those ballet slippers. Knee high leather boots & wool cardis for me! It's gonna drop next week... My fella lives in a loft, a bake house in summer & an ice box in winter. Will have to get him 'round here for cuddles... Alternative heating!
You should see my fridge, WCL. Nothing gets bought until everything's been eaten! It's often a fine line between dinner or bin worthy...
McLisa Posts: 1815
We have it on for an hour in the morning for hot water then an hour in evenings to take the chill out of the air. We have a gas fire in our living room that was put in when our house was built about 10 years ago, it's just currently packed in and they don't make the parts anymore :( don't fancy forking out for a new one! As soon as I get home from work hot water bottle is filled, cosy pjs and dressing gown on and blanket on the couch. Thinking of investing in a hot water bottle, as soon as I get int bed I'm stuck to husband like glue and he's been known to sleep on the edge of the bed with me pushed up against him, if the whole bed was warm I'd gladly stay in my own side lol any recommendations?