help a right handed parent with a left handed child

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

whackywoman Posts: 1496
following on Mrs Mammy thread (I think your MIL should be slapped by the way) has anyone any tips on helping a pure right handed person i.e. me and DH teach our very left handed and left footed daughter how to do different things. It was very obvious from when she first picked up stuff that she was going to be left handed as it is the hand she uses for everything. I know about the scissors and need to buy a set as she loves arty stuff. She eats, colours, carries etc with her left handed. how did you teach them to write their letters, no's etc? How do you teach tying laces? What else will be hard to teach and any tips on how to help her?
happieout Posts: 3111
deleted
galwaygirl2010 Posts: 2447
Dont think about it too much. My parents and siblings are right handed and Im left handed, nothing was done differently for me and I had no problems. If there was anything to watch for, it would be writing. Some lefties (my DH included) write with their arm arced around the page and so the wrist is also bent (not sure Im describing it properly) and it can lead to smudging of the ink and get very tiring especially after long periods like in exams. I turn the page sideways to I can write with my arm/ wrist straight. DH is now trying to do this also, but after 37 years, hes failing miserably :o0
ReginaFalange Posts: 10290
[quote="happieout":f6bp1c57]You're over thinking it all. Same thing, different hand. I'm left handed and it never cost me a thought only for other people commenting on it. Why? It's just using a different hand, I didn't reinvent the wheel or anything! Your daughter will be grand, don't worry![/quote:f6bp1c57] +1 I know that you are just trying to be proactive but honestly I don't see how it's an issue. I'm a lefty and never had any special "treatment" to teach me how to do things. Why is it that you think she'll need help? Remember that using her left hand is as natural to her as you using your right so for her it's not an issue or an obstacle that she needs to overcome.
hestia Posts: 2368
Just need to switch round the strings on a guitar. Don't think there's any need do it for air-guitaring though. You're in a better position to judge that. Try a Slash solo with her around three and see for yourself.