Help Advice Needed re Work

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Mrsreddy Posts: 472
Hi girls i'm hoping someone can give me a bit of advice here. i've started my antenatal classes in holles street on a wed afternoon at 3.15 and i take a half day from work for this which is fine with work. however this week i have an appointment in the morning on the wed and the classes in the afternoon. i tried to change the appointment but cant get another class and appointment close enough so i only have to take a half day as normal (hope this is making sense) so basically i'm worried about taking the full day off work. i was out sick this day last week and feel guilty saying i'm going to be off all day wed :o( i'm supposed to have class no 3 on wed - i really dont want to miss any of these - its my first baby so want to get as much info from the hospital as possible. so i'm looking for some advice - would you take the full day off - dh thinks we should miss the class as the appointment is obviously more important (i agree the appointment is more important) i'm so confused as to what to do - thanks for reading if you got this far its quite a long post :-8 please help !!!
MrsJayKay Posts: 3025
Personally, i would take the full day so as to attend my appointment and to attend my ante natal class. AFAIK you are legally entitled to attend these classes and they are not taken out of your holidays.
pigeonwife Posts: 3789
[quote="MrsJayKay":28ejoaf0]Personally, i would take the full day so as to attend my appointment and to attend my ante natal class. AFAIK you are legally entitled to attend these classes and they are not taken out of your holidays.[/quote:28ejoaf0] +1
hi girls thanks for the advice i'm in agreement i think i should go to both and just take the day off - dh's arguement is that i need to keep the company happy while i'm here so i have a better chance of having a job to come back to at the end of mat leave but in fairness i think they'll look at more than just the days off i took while pg and i do a good job when i'm here!! anyway goin to have a chat with him tonight and explain i think we should go to both the appointment and the class. thanks again for the advice :xxx
pigeonwife Posts: 3789
Mrs reddy - you are more protected while pregnant and on ML than at any other time - in other words they HAVE to keep your job for you to go back to!!!
hi girls thanks for all the replies! i spoke to dh last nit and he's still convinced that i should only take the half day for the appointment and miss the class as he's concerned about having a job to come back to - he's very practical when it comes to worrying about money for the future esp as he's self employed however i still think i should take the full day :o( now i dont know what to do - i told him i'm legally entitled to take the full day and his arguement is that it looks bad coz i was off sick for 1 day last wk oh why is everything so complicated!!!
Millie- Posts: 490
mrs reddy, could you take the day off and say to your hr manager or whoever deals with days off that you'll make it up in the next few days by working a little longer or something. i know how you feel about taking the time off. even though we're entitled to it, if you work in a small company its a lot harder to say that to your boss i think than if you're in a big bank or something like that. its a pain - but remember you need to think of yourself as well and whats best for you and bubba
Daddysgirl10 Posts: 55
Hi all, I'm just wondering are you entitled to take any sick leave before you go on maternity leave or would sick leave affect maternity leave. I have a long commute to work everyday and may not be able for it.
MrsJayKay Posts: 3025
[quote="Daddys-Girl":1f2yd97h]Hi all, I'm just wondering are you entitled to take any sick leave before you go on maternity leave or would sick leave affect maternity leave. I have a long commute to work everyday and may not be able for it.[/quote:1f2yd97h] Hiya. I don't think that you're ever "entitled" to take sick leave. If you're sick and certified by a doctor as being unfit for work then you can take the time off, but your employer is not obliged by law to pay you for any sick leave, unless of course that is provided for in your employment contract. It shouldn't affect your entitlement to maternity leave.
MummyLuv Posts: 2478
Hun go to both ands take the day I have been really ill on this pg and while I have worked from home most of the time I have been signed off I still feel guilty however you are entitled to take the day and you are entitled to a day sick, I can guarantee people who aren't pg in your company have majorly swung the led at times with sick leave u are allowed to be sick while ur pg and it cannot effect whether u have a job or not. The antenatal classes are important so i would take the day. You certainly won't lose ur job over it, if u feel bad about it say it to ur manager that u do but that u have to take the day. You are very protected while pg and unless the company u work for are in trouble and redundancies are due (they can't make u redundant while on mat leave) they must have the same job available to u when u come back. I understand why ur husband is worried as my hubbie is SE too but I think he's being over cautious on this one !